I couldn't bring myself to put the entire word in my title....but I'm sure you've figured out that consti stands for "constipation." It has hit me....like a ton of bricks. I had heard over and over that right after egg retrieval, constipation is inevitable. So, I was prepared....right before retrieval my DH picked me up some colace....which was recommended from my RE's office. I started taking it the day of retrieval (monday,) and was actually pretty regular for the first 2 days (pat on back.) However, I got a MEAN case of "big D" on Thursday and Thursday night....as you can read from my Friday post...it was horrifying. Well, listen to this...I haven't gone since! OMG! I haven't worried about it too much because I was so freaked out by the "big D" that I was just so glad that I didn't have that again! However, starting last night I realized that I haven't gone since then! I popped another colace last night, hoping it would do the trick. Nope! I got some stomach cramps in the middle of the night, so I decided to pop another one thinking the cramps were because I haven't gone yet. Nothing. I even drank some coffee this morning (which I hate!) Nothing. I drank a glass of Metamucil. Nothing. Finally, I sent DH to the store on his lunch break today (he is working from home due to the weather) to buy me some laxatives. I took 2 at noon today. Nothing.
Maybe this wouldn't be so bad if my abdomen wasn't already so swollen from the fluid. I honestly look a few months pregnant! With this 8 extra pounds of fluid I am carrying around....I am SO uncomfortable! I haven't eaten a "real" meal in over a week. I can't eat any carbs because they immediately make me feel EXTRA bloated. Most fruits and veggies are giving me heartburn and nausea. My RE recommended lots of protein to help get the fluid in the right place (my blood stream, not in my 3rd space, where it is not supposed to be!) so I've been eating cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, protein drinks, turkey and cheese, peanut butter, etc. Could all this protein be giving me consti? I ate a salad this morning and it made me immediately nauseous!
At least I got a decent night sleep last night...I think I slept for 3 solid hours, instead of a half hour at a time and then waking myself up gasping for air....heart racing. It is possible that the fluid is slowly (very slowly) moving from my chest to my abdomen, so at least that is a bit of good news....I am peeing a lot which my RE said is a good thing, it means I am eliminating some of the trapped fluid.
OHSS is such a weird thing. Something that you'd never understand unless you've been there. It is AWFUL and doesn't get better very quickly. I do feel like I am on the other side and that it isn't getting worse, but better?....very very slowly! I went on FMLA at work. I am thankful I've been working at the same department for nearly 5 years, so at least they know I am a good employee and not trying to milk the system or something. I had hoped to go back to work by Wednesday, but I don't know. Just walking up the stairs makes me feel winded...the only way I can explain it is that it feels like someone with emphysema (I'm assuming.) I cough a lot, but nothing happens, I can't catch my breath if I walk around too much, my chest hurts, my back and butt hurts from staying in the same position (the only position where I can get some good air flow to my lungs without gasping!) I am supposed to go back to the clinic tomorrow for more testing and checking, but the weather is SO bad, and the far away clinic (the only one that does this testing) is an hour away, and my DH can't take me because he has to work and has already missed HOURS of work taking me to all the appointments, so I'd have to drive myself. I just don't think it's going to happen. I'll probably have to reschedule for later in the week. I don't think I'll get back to work this week, which makes me sad. 2 week off of work....?....hard to believe OHSS could bring someone down for this long.
Thanks for listening....don't know what I'd do without this outlet....
Anyone hear about the low in Denver tonight. MINUS 20!!! Wow wow wow!

11 comments:
The protien overload can cause it... but I would think that the Colace and Metamucil and stuff would've counteracted that. Not to mention you're not exactly underhydrated right now, lol.
Glad you're starting to feel better- and don't worry about the time off work. Better to wait and be 100% effective when you get back than go sooner and be 70 or 80%.
Sorry you've been through so much with OHSS! Hopefully a couple more days of resting and recovering will be what you need!
I ate prunes. It helped.
Yeah I heard it was like 5 degrees there today brrr! I'm glad your finally on the down hill slop even if its slow.
When I had OHSS, I think the painkillers caused my constipation. I remember calmly telling my doctor that it had been five days since I had a bowel movement and I was on three colace a day--he actually flinched. But as I recall, that resolved itself with far less issue than the OHSS.
Don't panic about getting back to work. I remember nagging the doctors to let me go back, and now I have no idea what I was thinking. I could barely walk at the time!
If you're peeing a lot, keep weighing yourself throughout the day. Chances are you'll see the pounds dropping off! It's the greatest diet ever!
Sounds like you're through the worst of it, but hang in there. It really does suck!
I was so constipated last friday! I ate 6 oatmeal cookies, 2 cups of prune juice and 10 prunes. It took me less than two hours to work!
I've heard good things about prunes, too. Sorry about that. Consti is not fun. I'm glad you are taking a turn for the better but sorry you still won't be able to go back to work. How have you been using all the "down time"? That is, when you are not trying to sleep...
Hi... pear juice is great too :) Hope it clears up and good luck with the cycle :)) Looking forward to sharing the IVF journey with you from the other side of the world.. love your blog :)
Thanks for all the GREAT advice....I knew I could count on all of you! Well, I was up all night with stomach cramps, but finally got some relief this morning! Woo Hoo! Never thought I'd be so happy to poop!
Glad to hear everything came out alright in the end!
Morning sickness will be a breeze compared to OHSS!!
Hang in there, you are def on the mend and no doubt lost more pounds this morn!!
Post a Comment