Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, January 21, 2011

#1 IVF CD # 8 "Frozen Babies?"

Again, I wanted to thank everyone for the awesome support and love I’ve received over the past week or so. Your guys’ comments, emails, messages have meant so much to me, and have been so helpful in getting me through this. I never realized how difficult the IVF journey was going to be (is there any way to really prepare yourself?!) but without all of this support I would feel very alone, so thank you!

The good news is that I actually got a decent night’s sleep last night. I took half of a Tylenol PM before I went to bed, which really helped. I still had to get up about 3-4 times to go to the bathroom because my ovaries are so large and are pressing on my bladder. But, at least I got some sleep.

I had yet another U/S and more B/W this morning. Have not gotten my B/W result back yet. But, the U/S still isn’t good. I am still showing about 60 follicles in there. Way way way too many! They hope for about 10-15……not 60! They are still growing (they are about 13-16 millimeters now) even though I haven’t done a menopur injection since yesterday morning, and haven’t done a follistim injection since Tuesday night.

I met with Dr. Bush today (I am a rare case, this is very unusual to meet with him at this point,) because he is worried about my cycle. He did not think I’d respond this quickly to the stimulation meds. Basically, at this point I have to continue with daily monitoring and see how I do. He is optimistic and does not think my cycle is going to get canceled (as long as we can keep my estrogen levels from growing to dangerous levels,) but he said there is a very good chance that we may not be able to go through with transfer this month. Because my estrogen levels are so high…I am at a very HIGH risk for OHSS. This is not only dangerous to my own health but also causes a toxic environment in the body, and so for my own health and for the health of any embryos…..it would not be safe to place them in my body this month.

It is not guaranteed that we won’t be able to transfer this month….we’ll know more over the weekend, but he is preparing me for it since that is the way things are looking. I am still getting used to the idea of having to wait a month or two to transfer, so I can’t say how I am feeling right now (except obviously, disappointed.) I realize that it would be for the best, but it is still hard. Over the weekend, we’ll be watching out for my estrogen levels, and praying that the new med (ganirelix) starves off the smaller follicles, and lets some of the larger ones continue to mature and hopefully give us some quality eggs.

I am still trying to digest this, and won’t know more until my E2 levels come back, until after we see how things go this weekend, and then once we trigger if I am showing signs of OHSS or not. The best outcome would be that my E2 levels come down, a few of my follicles become “leads” and some of the smaller ones die off, and that after trigger OHSS does not set in. I am staying optimistic that we’ll at least get through stims and retrieval, and getting used to the idea that if we do get some quality embryos that they will be frozen and put in me after my body calms down in a month or so. Looks like we may be looking at a Christmas or New Year baby.

Dr. Bush said that:

#1 I will not be hospitalized because he is putting my health at #1, and


#2 He will get me pregnant this year….maybe not this cycle, but it will happen

Update: I just got a call from the nurse and my estrogen levels stayed the same!!! Woo Hoo! This is great news! She said my follicles are growing but my estrogen is not which is GREAT NEWS! I'll take the ganirelix and half a dose of the menopur tonight (no follistim, and no menopur tomorrow morning,) and then go in for another U/S and B/W tomorrow morning. We are tentatively set for trigger on Sunday night with retrieval on Tuesday!

12 comments:

Marissa said...

Thanks for your comment! I really hope things work out for you. I was at high risk for OHSS (though probably not quite as high as you, Ms 60 Follicles!), so my RE had me trigger with half the dose of hCG (and suggested Lupron, but I vetoed, since I react horribly to Lupron), put me on Dostinex, and gave me a strict dietry/fluids regimen. I've got a *very* mild case, but it beats being hospitalized and/or drained! Make sure you explore your options. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a lot of follicles. Sounds like your doc is keeping a good eye on you though and hopefully that will keep the ohss at bay. I hope that some of the follicles absorb so you have only great ones left.

Cori said...

Hoping for a great report for you tomorrow!

Kristen said...

I just joined the Cycle Sista list and am wishing for the best for you! Hang in there! IVF is so hard! Hope you get good news this weekend.

clewis said...

good one. thank god the estrogen isnt going up. finding your blog really interesting so keep up the daily reports. im reading!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good nights sleep, I can only imagine how hard it must be with all thats going on. You are very strong and coping very well. Good luck and will keep following..
Tee.xo

ousoonerchick said...

YAY!!!!! So glad to hear your sleeping better and that the nurse gave you good news!!!!

Ashlee G. said...

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello. I hope that your future is just bright with happiness. :-)

Nic said...

IVF is such a horrible roller coaster. I am pleased you blood work has come back good. Fingers crossed for triggering Sunday!

To Those Who Wait said...

Wow. I just can't imagine such highs and lows. I am so glad they are finding ways to make the most of this cycle instead of cancelling and starting over. I am sending lots of positive vibes to you that things continue to find a way to work out-even if it isn't the text book IVF cycle...if there even is one of those!

Unknown said...

Here from ICLW and I wanted to say good Luck this cycle. 60 is ALOT of follicles but hopefully they can keep your E levels under control. I am now following you and can't want to hear about the rest of your cycle!! GOOD LUCK!!
Aly
ICLW #206

Amy said...

Phew, I am so glad that your estrogen stayed down! Although the OHSS is still a little scary. Sounds like things are looking better that you'll make it to retrieval, hang in there.