But, what are the odds that our FET will take? I can't stop worrying even though I KNOW the most difficult part is over. All of the questions keep creeping into the back of my mind. I found this article today, I was comforted by it.
There is much confusion about the ability of frozen embryos to produce pregnancy. On initial inspection, the chance for pregnancy using frozen embryos appears to be lower than the transfer of fresh embryos. On closer analysis, however, this may not be true.
Typically, when a frozen embryos transfer is performed, the embryos that were frozen were those that were not chosen for the initial fresh embryo transfer. Why not? Often, the embryologist chose the “best” embryos for the initial transfer. The embryos that remained were frozen. Some programs are very strict about the quality of the embryos they will freeze, other programs will freeze any and all remaining embryos. As in the case of fresh embryo transfer, embryo quality has a profound effect on the chance for pregnancy. If poor quality embryos were frozen, the survival rate after thawing as well as the pregnancy rate would be expected to be lower.
A second important factor is the number of embryos that are transferred. Take the example of a couple who produce four good quality embryos. Two are transferred in the fresh in vitro fertilization cycle and two are frozen. A pregnancy results and the couple delivers a baby. Later, the couple decides to attempt pregnancy again using the frozen embryos. Upon thawing, however, only one embryo survives. The frozen transfer is of a single embryo. Pregnancy rates of a single embryo are going to be lower than that seen with a multiple embryo transfer.
(This last paragraph describes my situation)
Studies have been performed in women who had a very vigorous stimulation of their ovaries and were considered to be at high risk for ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Their physicians decided to skip the embryo transfer and instead freeze all of the embryos for later use. This significantly decreases the risk of serious or complicated OHSS. In other cases, the physicians decided to go ahead with a fresh embryo transfer anyway, despite the risk of OHSS. In this experiment, the couples in both groups have a large number of embryos and the selection of embryos for transfer was for the best embryos in each case. These studies show no difference in the pregnancy rates between fresh or frozen embryos.
Hallelujah!! It seems I might not have as much to worry about as I think I do!

12 comments:
Thanks for sharing this info! Even though it'll be a while before we embark on project sibling, I often wonder what we'll do next time. It sucks that we have to make such insane decisions, huh?
Hallelujah multiplied by 4! (two for me...two for you)
I think I'm going to have to pick up a hobby for the next 8 weeks. I'm going to go insane. So close...yet so far away.
This is good info. Thanks for posting in. I am wishing you luck with this FET... blow the stats outta the water!!!
Thanks Krista!! I loved the screech! LOL
You have embryo's and that is a HUGE accomplishment in itself! I remember when we were told we had ZERO and being so devastated. Once we found out the rescue ICSI worked it was the most amazing feeling ever to have ACTUAL EMBRYOS! It was the closest we had ever been to being pregnant! My fingers and toes are crossed for you guys! 6 more weeks... its gonna fly!!!
Great news on the success rate for OHSS situations! Wishing for the next 6 weeks (sorry 8 weeks) to fly by and a BFP for you!
I know the office I used had a high success rate for FET and they would x-fer two on fresh cycle but only 1 on FET because thats how confident they were....
I know with FET a lot depends more on the lab how your embies are frozen/thawed can have a great deal to do with good outcome:)
That last paragraph is very reassuring. Of course you, like everyone in this community, know better than to count your babies before they are in your arms. Still, it seems the chances for you are about as good as they could possibly be!
GL on your transfer! I voted for 2 embies ;)
Also, LOVE your "YKYIW" section!!
Oh this is a great article! Permission to repost??
Re-post away! If you click on the title of the article, it shows where I got it from! :-)
Great article... I've heard the success is pretty much equal for "fresh" and frozen embryos - and the wait gives your the chance to feel your best before the transfer and an even greater chance of success xo
Glad you got some reassurance. My clinic also recently told me fresh and frozen have equal success rates...I had thought success with frozen was much less, so I was soooo happy to hear that.
Post a Comment