(I'm posting my letter on my blog so you can all see what I sent to Ms.Newkirk.)
Dear Ms. Newkirk-
I have always been a supporter of PETA, even if I don't always agree with your extreme tactics. My husband and I rescued a sweet Italian Mastiff that was abandoned on the side of the road, we took him home, nursed him to health, got him neutered, love him unconditionally, and would do anything for him. We donate monthly to a large dog rescue agency in our state….we are both HUGE dog (and animal) lovers.
I am writing in regards to your campaign “Win A Vasectomy.” First of all, I don’t have an issue with the campaign itself, what I DO have an issue with is the fact that the campaign is supposedly “in honor” of National Infertility Awareness Week. You see, not only are my husband and I animal lovers, we are also infertile. We’ve been struggling to have a family of our own for 3 years now. I won’t go into a lot of detail, but I have been diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome, a disease in which I produce plenty of quality eggs, but my ovaries do not ovulate the eggs. This has been a heartbreaking, devastating journey that my husband and I have been on. We are both wonderful people….highly educated, emotionally, mentally and financially stable, and are both in great health and have a strong marriage. It is devastating that we may never produce children that are half me and half my husband, and build the family that we’ve always dreamed of.
For us, it’s not about “just becoming parents;” we want our own children that have my kind heart and my eyes, and his smarts and his lovely smile. While I think adoption is wonderful and I have many friends who have been adopted and are currently going through the adoption process, it is not something that is in our hearts. It would not be fair to bring an adopted child into our home when we do not feel like we have been called to adopt. Anyone who deals with adoption, has adopted, has been adopted will tell you that indeed you have to be called to it. It’s not for everyone. I bring adoption because one of your staff people (Carrie Snider) made the comment to my friend, Keiko Zoll that PETA believes if you are struggling with fertility, then you should just adopt. Like my friend, Keiko said “While adoption is certainly a wonderful option for many families, it is a family building resolution, not a cure for a prolific global disease.” I’d like to ask you and Ms. Snider both if YOU have adopted? I’d also like to know if you or Ms. Snider have “curbed your reproductive habits” as Ms. Snider told Keiko we should all be doing.
My point is…..you cannot have a campaign “in honor” of something if it does not “honor it.” Having a “win a vasectomy” contest in honor of Infertility Awareness Week does the opposite of honoring the week…it further perpetuates the ignorance of the world and its views about infertility and those suffering through this horrible, devastating, life shattering disease. You see, every human is born with the innate desire to want to reproduce. Even if it takes going through infertility treatment to deal with the diseases that are making us infertile, we still have the right and privilege to reproduce. People with infertility are NOT the ones overpopulating the world, it is an education issue..…so why not have your campaign centered around National Literacy Month and then DO something to help illiteracy around the world? By having this campaign in honor of NIAW you are saying that infertility patients deserve the diagnosis because we simply shouldn't be reproducing in the first place. The planet is crowded enough. Therefore, our infertility is justified
I don’t believe that you educated yourself as to what National Infertility Week even is before you started this campaign, so let me tell you:
1.ensure that people trying to conceive know the guidelines for seeing a specialist when they are trying to conceive.
2.enhance public understanding that infertility is a disease that needs and deserves attention.
3.educate legislators about the disease of infertility and how it impacts people in their state.
To read more, you can check out Resolve’s website at: http://www.resolve.org/national-infertility-awareness-week/about.html
Are you doing any of these things with your campaign? To say you are “honoring” National Infertility Week is like offering Triple Bacon Cheeseburgers for free during American Heart Month. This would be “mocking” American Heart Month, just the same as you are mocking National Infertility Week. To claim you are honoring NIAW is absurd and ludicrous.
You said on Facebook that this is generating the kind of media coverage of the cat and dog overpopulation crisis that money could never buy. But, unfortunately at the expense and disregard for anyone who has ever suffered from infertility. In this minds of the infertility community, PETA has decided that it is acceptable to mock, ridicule and trivialize the infertility community and their struggles in the name of promoting responsible pet-ownership.
Again, I have no issues with the vasectomy itself, but to say it is in “honor” of something it is not is just wrong. I URGE you to take down any reference to National Infertility Awareness Week in your campaign and apologize to the Infertility Community….which includes 7.3 million men and women in the United States alone.
Sincerely,
Krista _____
UPDATE: PETA has taken down all reference to National Infertility Awareness Week in their "Win a Vasectomy" Campaign. The infertility community really came together on this one.....signing the campaign, sending in letters and emails, making phone calls. In the end, the infertility community showed that we will not lay down and let PETA bully us. This community continues to amaze and delight me with their fight, bravery, beautiful hearts and amazing support of one another. A BIG kudo to Keiko Zoll for heading up the fight! You guys are all awesome.....WE did this TOGETHER, and for that my heart is warmed. I hope this gives each and every one of you a little bit more strength to continue the fight toward motherhood.

11 comments:
Krista, while I loved Keiko's letter, I think your letter is absolutely perfect. You have touched on your love of animals (and animal adoption), your personal infertility journey, the mockery of infertility, etc. I loved the way you listed what NIAW is about. And overall, I think that this is the kind of letter that can get the attention of the reader, without being a complete "attack" or harsh at all.
I read the response that Ashley received (Stealing Baby Kisses) from PETA, and in the reply was mentioned that they've been receiving a lot of very uncivil emails. (Understandably so! But obviously those aren't getting the point across well enough b/c they aren't understanding the root cause of the anger and "uncivility")
I was going to write an email, but I think yours is just SO great, I want to steal yours and email them and say "DITTO!" and include my own history. LOL (don't worry, I won't really steal it)
Although the other letters are great, I would say yours is brilliant. Your personal experience makes your arguement real.
Signed the petition xo
Great letter Krista, I've only just seen what the whole PETA thing is all about, after seeing a few people's blog entries about it, I'm just so disgusted-it seriously makes my blood boil.Grrr!
orry about my slow commenting this week :( I really don't understand PETA sometimes... what were they thinking !! xo
Go Krista!!! I love the letter.
Wow, what a great and very articulate and emotional letter. Amazing. So important to do what you've done...thank you!
-Kristen from www.buckupbuttercup.net
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you for taking the time to write to them.
Cherbear isn't going to steal it...but I am.
As your twin I'm going to call it a "privilage" because it still boggles my mind how alike our stories are.
Then again, with stats like that...I'm probably not the only one.
Well said Krista - well said! You represent us well.
Wow... great that the IF community could really tell PETA how hurtful they've been. I agree... it makes my heart feel warm to know that everyone joining together can make such a difference xoxo
great letter. We rocked that campaign, and it felt good to have a voice about it all.
Post a Comment