I wanted to title this "F'ing Mess," but I don't want all of you to know that deep down I have a horrible potty mouth! Do not read further if you don't want to hear me bitch and moan...or want to hear TMI! I just need to get it out!!
I still can't keep the damn patches on my body! We just put 4 new ones on yesterday and they are already moving around and coming up. We got desperate today and went and got some medical tape. Now, we have medical tape all around the 4 patches...I look (and feel) fabulous...not! This sucks!
I started the endometrin (progesterone) suppositories today. I am supposed to shove 3 up my hoo ha each day. Well, I decided to start with 2 in the AM and then 1 in the PM with my estrogen suppository. So, I got 2 horse sized pills shoved up there with that little stick they provide you with. A few hours later I felt something "down there," so I go whip my mirror out and and look down there...Oh my God....both pills had fallen down and were this big nasty gooey mess at the bottom of my vag. canal. WTF am I supposed to do?! I can't shove more up there because I have just enough to last me, I can't pull the mess out and try to shove it back up there because it's goo, I can't clean it out because then I wouldn't get any of the progesterone. About an hour after that the mess was IN my panties! How much of this progesterone did I actually get?! Not to mention....how do they get the catheter pass this gooey mess to get the embryos in my uterus....won't the tip of the catheter get full of progesterone mess? AGH!!
Any suggestions? Do I need to shove those little SOB's up there further? There are NO directions on the package!!
I'm uncomfortable and cranky about this whole thing!! I can't believe the patches and suppositories will go until May 7th, and even longer if there is a pregnancy! I'm already miserable!
I mean, don't get me wrong....I am desperate and will do anything for a healthy pregnancy, but do things have to be so uncomfortable?! What can I do to make this easier? I'd rather give myself injections all day then deal with this big ol mess!
Thank you for listening....

30 comments:
Omgosh ! I know what you mean about the mess. I woke up one morning with the sheets sticking to me because of the cream these pills turn into. I also start my patches tomorrow.
Dont worry about your transfer with the goo. Your doc will clean you up very nicely before inserting your little ones.
Wow... sounds like a nightmare !! Patches and suppositories.... that's not fair. As if this IF journey isn't hard enough already :( How about calling the clinic/FS and asking whether there is any alternative ?... there might be something else that could do the same job. Thinking of you hun and hope there is a better option xoxo
First of all (dont hate me)but this was a funny post. Then I realized that u r my fortune teller so I hope u get this figured out for me! :) God has a sense of humor huh? There is no other explination...
Can you use the Instead Softcups with them? That way there's no mess. If I have to use suppositories, I think that's what I'll try. So not fair you have to do this, but may be worth a try to save the mess!
What goes up must come down, right? I did the endometrin for 6 weeks 3x's/day and would have for up to 12 weeks had I made it there. At first it seemed pretty messy, but I just got super thin panty liners and would replace them often. I would space the 3 out throughout the day (1 morning, 1 mid-day, and 1 at night), so that there wasn't a ton coming out all at once (sorry if TMI).
I remember opening them the first time and thinking there weren't any instructions. I would hold the applicator about 3/4 of the way down and "go for it". Hope this helps. I don't think the mess can be avoided, but it usually took some time before the mess appeared. If it happened shortly after you probably didn't get them up far enough.
I once dropped one in the toilet and then watched as it dissolved quickly. I'm sure they have it figured out for the transfer and it won't be an issue. Once a few weeks go past it doesn't even phase you. I can't give any advice about the patches, but it sounds like you are quite the beauty these days. It will all be worth it!!! Hang in there : )
I know I read somewhere that inserting them anally (how fun!) will give you just as much absorption. Ask your RE about that!
Hey there -
1. I heard that your body absorbed as much as u need.
2. I try to stay laying down for at least 30 min after inserting it as far up in me as my finger reaches.:) TMI
That has. helped a ton to cut down on the Goo.
Good luck!
The suppositories suck! Shove em up there as far as you can! I wore a thin panty liner too, for about 10 weeks, fun. But worth it if you get your take home baby!
I hate the supps! I did them with 7 IUI's. When we switched to IVF I went on the PIO. It's another shot, but I was willing to take that over a constant goo.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and wishing me well!
Hi Krista,
I found your blog from a comment on the Fertility Community. Thanks for including the link to the pH Balance article. Very enlightening read.
Keeping my fingers crossed for your upcoming FET!
Oh my, hang in there. This IF crap just never seems to have a pretty side, does it?
I was worried and nervous that my doc prescribed PIO shots for me in May, but now I think I'm ok with it. Maybe asking for the shots would be a good alternative?
Joey
http://thechildlessmom.blogspot.com
Wow, that sounds awful! I hope you get the hang of it and it gets easier!
Oh, Krista, how I understand you (with respect to progesterone)!!! I have no applicator and I am on 2 suppositories 3 times a day, plus bright blue estrogen pills the same way 2 times per day. When I can, I do try to lay down for some time after I put them in. I also use my finger and shove them as deep as possible. and I do use tons of thin liners.
At my first clinic they told me not to insert any until after the transfer. But for my transfer on Monday I was told to insert them early (I usually do it at 6:30 a.m.) and that by the time of the transfer (10:30 a.m.) most of it should dissolve and the rest the RE would clean. So you should probably ask your RE what they prefer you do or don't do before the transfer.
I'm SO sorry you're having to do all this! I hated the progesterone suppositories when I had to do them. Ick. I think the advice you've gotten should help you out...my two cents: I started waking up about an hour early and put in my morning one so it could melt & absorb before I was moving around (the progesterone does absorb quickly from what I understand, but I found it less messy if I could wait longer before moving around). Getting it as far in as you can and wearing liners are a must! Maybe try doing 2 at bedtime instead of a.m. so you're horizontal for hours after putting them in. Anyway, I hope it gets a little bit better soon, and I'll be thinking about you as your transfer comes up!
I hated them too, and am not looking forward to shoving more up there this time round. I had a bit of an episode with one too. One kind of came back out when I went to the toilet too soon after I had shoved it up there, I started having a meltdown of course, do i need to insert another? finally rang and she said it was fine, it would have absorbed enough and to just continue as normal. If you can remeber from my blog posts I had a terrible time with these when I got stinging, burning pain for days on end. I curse these damn things as much as you, they are messy and horrible, but very important, Im sure you will be hearing more about these pessaries from me as I take them again! then you can hear me moan again.good luck.
I agree with some of the comments here. Put the suppositories up high. I didn't at first either. It needs to get absorbed up high. Its still messy either way. Panty liners daily!
At transfer take the suppository and dont worry abt it. Lol. The musnurset I spoke with on the phone told me not to and the nurse st the transfer got pissed at that. U really should not skip a.single dosage. Esp closer to transfer and after .
! and here i am trembling about theshots. as a side note i DIED wheni read insert anally in the comments. roflmbo!! i just cant even imagine. the things we do for baby!
Oh goodness.......does standing on your head help?! Our children better appreciate this!
So yeah, I'd used crinone during our IUI's, which I actually preferred over the endometrium that we are using for IVF. I would have switched back to the Crinone if it didn't cost 3x the amount of endometrium.
I learned the hard way that panty liners are a MUST with endometium after the discharge soaked through my pants. beyond embarrassing.
I try to shove the pill up there as far as I can, but I can definitely feel it oozing out over the course of the day. ewwey.
I have heard that it can be taken anally, but haven't been able to bring myself to ask my dr if that would be okay. If we have to increase our dosage I might inquire.
You mention that you are also taking estrogen suppositories. Is that in addition to the patches? I was able to use the estrogen suppositories instead of the patch for my cycle, It might be worth asking if there is an alternative.
good luck!
I never had the patches, sound a nightmare! I had estrogen tablets orally 3 times a day.
I had progesterone suppositories which I put up my back passage. Not fun, not dignified but no mess. It was actually very easy to do and was not too uncomfortable or painful. Worth an ask
x
Oh that sounds awful! I'm so sorry. I don't have any advice but I hope you find a way to make it easier!
OMG! You guys REALLY came through for me on this one! Seriously! 21 AWESOME comments....I was thinking I wouldn't even get one on that bitch and moan post! Thanks so much for all of the awesome supportive comments, not to mention HELPFUL!!
I did my 3rd suppository last night along with my estrogen supp. and that one went much better....probably because I went to bed immediately after. But, I decided not to use the sticks and just use my finger so I could feel how far they were up there....and just get it pushed as far up as I could. Again, this morning with the AM ones I did the same and I think they are going to stay up there (at least most of it!) I learned the hard way with the liners. I did go buy some little liners yesterday...so I feel better about that!!
Thanks again for the amazing, helpful comments on this post!! XOXO!!!
i'm a potty mouth too... :-) sorry for the messy nastiness. oh the things we do, huh? so frustrating! i'm thinking of you and hoping this is all worth it. hugs.
Krista I am SO glad you got a lot of help on this. I know it doesn't help that your body is raging with hormones right now!!
I did the shots so I can't help, but you got enough help from the others, thankfully! :)
Now you have a great story to tell your future child(ren) ;)
This is one time I am glad I cannot offer any help. You girls are so strong! I use liners everyday of my cycles anyway due to cm. The things you put up your hoo haa just so you can push a bub out your hoo haa...
Now I feel awful for my terrible potty mouth!! I say get the F words out!!!! You are on so many drugs for your FET I am kinda jealous at the support you are gettin!! Will listen whenever and whereever!
Hey, I just emailed you. Looking forward to your input : )
Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm sorry things aren't going quite as planned. OHSS is the worst and then to go through the pain or FET is just not fair! Oh the days of shoving little blue pills and progesterone up my vag. Yeah hated that. My RE told me not to worry if some stuff falls out. I had a perfect lining both times and I can tell you it seemed like some days nothing was staying where it should. Deep breaths. Also my RE didn't have me put anything up and in before the transfer. I was to do those after transfer so there wasn't any crap in there. (Although there was PLENTY leftover from the previous 2 weeks) Hang in there. You are almost to the finish line!
Thanks for sharing! I went through the exact same thing with the progestrone and I thought I was the only messy IVFer, but now I see it's a common occurance. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you! Almost there!
Ugh...I always had to use extra tape to keep my patches on. What a pain. Oh and panty liners were my best friend! Hang in there!!!
Post a Comment