Lately I really feel like I am struggling to find balance. I’ve always been one that balanced a lot of things in life all at once. During childhood, I balanced school, with friends, with family, with many extracurricular activities. In high school I balanced school, with friendships, with family, with boyfriends, with student government, with cheerleading and later on in high school...those things on top of a job, grocery shopping, balancing my checkbook, paying bills, getting ready for college, and some really difficult family drama. In college, I balanced school, with relationships, with student government, with work, with 2 internships, with paying my bills, with my apartment, etc. I know that you might think “well, everyone balances these things in life…these are regular life things.” But, I’ve always felt that I was exceptional at balancing things. I am a planner, an organizer, a hard worker, and when I allow myself to be…a natural leader. I’ve always been good at keeping everything in my life in balance while excelling (even in the face of adversity) at whatever I choose. I’m a go-getter…I love working hard, keeping my house in a nice and neatly orderly fashion, I love being social and making new friends and nurturing existing friendships. As an adult, I balance a full-time job, a husband, a neat and orderly home, our social calendar, relationships with my family, lots of great friends, a fantastic dog, a volunteering calendar, etc. etc. etc.
Since I've been dealing with infertility those things have become completely off-kilter. For the last year and especially in the last 6 months I feel like the only thing I’ve been able to focus on is infertility. This has slid everything else in my life almost completely off of my radar. Sure, I am still married, I still have a dog, I still have a house and a job and all that. But, those things are completely off-balance. Because infertility has taken up so much of my life, the other things I care about have become somewhat less important. It’s not that I don’t care about those things anymore, I just feel like infertility is so all-consuming that my heart, my brain, my life doesn’t have a lot of extra room.
I think I’ve noticed this a lot more in the past few weeks because the infertility stuff has been “old hold” for the past 2 months. Since the fertility stuff is on hold, I feel like there is a huge empty hole in my life that had been filled with infertility treatments for so long. All of the crazy fertility treatments were so consuming that I let everything else in my life fall away a bit, and now that fertility treatment is not there….there is not much there. My husband is my rock and my balance, but even he has other things going on….a full-time job managing a huge team of people across the country, a pretty intense travel schedule, a part-time teaching job, an rigid exercise routine, our dog, friends, extracurricular activities, etc. He, unlike me hasn’t let infertility treatments consume him…he still has his own life things that he hasn’t let slide away from him.
As for me, my work has become boring and monotonous. I got a promotion back in December and it’s like I don’t even care. I am doing the job, but my heart isn’t in it, I don’t have the “go get em” attitude. I haven’t been in close contact with my family for a few months now. I mean, it’s not that I am not in contact with them, but most days I would prefer not to have to get into lengthy conversations with them. I know some of my friendships have suffered and it’s not that I don’t care, I am just having such a difficult time reaching out and being social right now. I feel like I am forcing my social interactions. My friends ARE important to me….so why do I want to stay home and be anti-social?
I know it’s a balance issue. I let the infertility take up too much of my “space,” and then everything else that I normally balance slid off the side. I want to “slide” those things back onto my radar…I want that hole that I feel to be filled again, but I just don’t know if I have the strength or the energy to do it right now. I just feel like I am caught between a rock and a hard place.

13 comments:
So sorry to hear that you feel off balance... I'm an organiser/do-er too and one thing I've learnt after losing Gabrielle then with IF, that while in the middle of all the chaos, it feel like a dust storm that can't be controlled... then when the dust settles, my priorities changed and I've learnt how to cherish the small moments and love my daughter, husband and our future maybe child even more. I think that if we didn't have this 'opportunity' of waiting though the dust-storm then we wouldn't be as great mums as we're going to be when it's all settled and we have our babies in our arm. Ultimately jobs, bills, activities and good friends will still be there after the dust-storm... we just have to focus on looking after ourselves through the worst of it. Sending you lots of love and thoughts xoxo
Krista- thank you for the congrats!
I so understand what you're saying. This definitely resonates with me. And I love what New Year Mum said...this will make us great mothers because of the weight that infertility has taken in our lives...we'll be able to fill it with a baby one day. But that feeling of imbalance is so real and so unsettling.
I hope that you find some peace in knowing that your dust will settle...all of our dust will settle...one day. I'm thinking of you!
Wow I was having the same conversation with my husband last night. he said that when IVF happens I just drop everything and focus on that. I said to him it is just so hard it consumes me and the medication makes me flat I lose my spark and then of course when it all goes to blah it takes longer to get back your groove. I totally get what you are saying it is like you ripped the thoughts out of my head. I guess the only thing we can do is why things rae out of our hands we pull ourselves up and we get on with life the best we can. thinking of you xxxx
Man, I've been right where you are for almost 2 years. It is sooo consuming. And the wait -- it's just prolongs the thought obsession. It's crazy (almost literally).
I couldn't think of anything else and I poured my heart and soul into research and connecting with other people experiencing the same thing and it was so good to realize I wasn't alone. I feel that having these consuming feelings just goes to show how much you want it. You REALLY want it.
Missed commenting on your previous post -- I thought I would go right into the FET when I was ready (January) then to be told that I had to wait for my period then start the pill -- REALLY?! Ahhhhhhck! It went by fast. and seems like so long ago.
www.becauseofmatch.com/lesspublic
*hugs*
Infertility is all-consuming. I kind of gave up on balance. Hoping to fill that space with a baby.
Pathetic? Maybe. But whatever, it's not like thinking about taxes or payments or the grocery list is fun either.
I can totally relate to what you're saying! I was always the same way but this has hit me like a ton of bricks! I just can't get it together. My life is consumed with trying to have a baby. I'm not sure what to do about it. One wants to be able to live life and just go with it, but there's always that "well, what if I'm pregnant" or "I will be pregnant by then, so it doesn't matter." I've always been a go-getter. Now, I don't care! I just want a family! totally relate. If you come up with solutions, let me know :)
Jill
elusivetakehomebaby.blogspot.com
Ha. I've been trying to come up with a hobby for two months now to fill the void and pass the time. Still no luck (which is totally unlike me!)
Wow I could have written that post myself! To me it's like someone has pressed "pause" on my life and I'll only get to press "play" when I get a successful BFP. relationships are hard to keep up with friends/family when going through IF. I feel like I'm only giving them 40 % of me.
Count me among those who could have written this post, and know exactly how you feel. I don't have any wisdom to make it better, but I'll let you know when I figure it out. :-) Hang in there, you aren't alone.
I think all who have struggled or are struggling with IF can totally relate to your post! I know that I definately let it take over my work and my life for a period of time. It wasn't until I had the realization that IF was part of me not ALL of me that thing got straitened out. Give yourself time and do NOT put pressure on yourself to have it all figured out! Its a constant battle and struggle. And like SJ said... YOU ARE NOT ALONE!! xoxo :)
If i knew how to do this better I would offer my advice. but i'm on the tight rope with you....leaning waaay too far to one side. :(
Hi Krista,
It sounds like you have developed some really great multi-tasking skills over the years and that your drive is what pushed you to excel even in the face of adversity. But,infertility goes right to the heart of who you are and what you ultimately want for your life. It's no wonder that you have been temporarily side-tracked. The thing to remember is that you need to aim for progress, not perfection. Give yourself a break (in terms of your very high expectations of yourself)!
I'm speaking on the Fertility Focus Telesummit later today, about how to create your best support network and I hope you will listen in. I think it may help you re-introduce balance in various aspects of your life. You can click through, for free, from my blog: http://yourgreatlife.typepad.com
Wishing you a happier day today,
Lisa (ICLW #112)
Post a Comment