Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Bedding Woes

I really have nothing to report on the fertility front, but since I feel the need to put up a post today….well, I’m gonna do just that.

I haven’t been sleeping very well…..

The birth control nausea in the middle of the night is only half my problem.

We also just got a new bed. We have had the same queen size bed since we started dating 8 years ago. We decided it was time to invest in a new king size bed so that I don’t have to sleep with DH’s knee smashed into my butt cheek and his elbow pressed into my back any longer.

Everything was going great…we got the bed, the mattress, the bedding, the comforter, etc. Everything was delivered on Monday….I was SUPER excited to get all the new goodies settled on the bed.

We jumped into our new bed on Monday night and while I LOVED having all the space we didn’t have before, I slept like crap!

First of all, our old bed had a memory foam mattress topper on it. So, it honestly felt like we were sleeping in butter….we melted right in….so cozy. We didn’t get a topper with the new bed because we thought our new ultra fancy posterpedic mattress would (should!) be comfy enough. Nope! I felt like I was sleeping on a board…even though we didn’t even buy the “firm” mattress!

Second, I ended up buying this Calvin Klein bedding from Macy’s mostly because it went with the color them in our bedroom. We pretty much have to stick with blue and brown because of paint and other décor in the room. I just automatically bought the sheets that went with the duvet, skirt, shams, etc. that I had picked out. Well, when I opened the sheet package…they seemed very stiff! But, I threw them on the bed anyway….because after all….they are PRETTY! But, they felt awful on my skin!

Hard bed + itchy/stiff sheets = no sleep.

So, yesterday morning I tell hubs “I can’t sleep in that bed, it’s too hard.” So we decide to go ahead and buy a memory foam topper for the new bed. He’s says to me “it’s kinda stupid that we bought the expensive mattress if we were just going to put a topper on it.” True…but we had no way of knowing that the mattress was just too firm…yes, we laid on all of them in the mattress store, but you just don’t know until you get it home and actually SLEEP on it! So, I went ahead and ordered the mattress topper.

Then, I decide….I can’t sleep on these itchy/stiff sheets either. So hubby recommends that we wash them to soften them up…so I do just that. When I got them out of the dryer…they did indeed feel a bit softer. So, I slapped them back on the bed hoping this would do the trick.

Nope!

Once I got in the bed the sheets were still way too stiff and in fact I couldn’t sleep a second night in a row because I had anxiety about the sheets all night! Then, when I woke up this morning I had actual RASPBERRIES on my elbows and knees from the sheets! I kid you not! These are $100+ Calvin Klein sheets…not some cheapo brand! WTF?

Now, what I am going to do?! I’ve already washed the sheets AND threw out the package! Will Macy’s still take them back!? They are completely useless to me…I can’t sleep on sandpaper!

Let’s just hope the mattress topper comes soon and I can figure out the sheet situation....or I am going to be in a world of hurt! I refuse to get all new bedding, so I am going to have to try and find sheets that match all of the other bedding I just bought…which is brown and blue, not something easy like ivory! Oh woe is me!

Is it April 21st yet? No? Okay…just checkin…..

10 comments:

DandelionBreeze said...

Oh no... how disappointing :( Would the sheets improve with a few more washes ? Hope the topper arrives soon and that more peaceful nights find you ASAP xoxo

Christa said...

Wow, that sucks. I hate our new bed too, though we got it almost a year ago. We were going to get a Tempurpedic but the sales guy talked us into buying a cheaper memory foam mattress. I liked our old pillowtop mattress more and I find a way to sleep on our old bed about once a week, just for a good nights sleep :)

ICLW

Cortney said...

Try washing your sheets with white vinegar. I know it sounds weird, but some of the itchiness might be coming from the sizing that they use to stiffen the fabric when it's being sewn. I've had to do this with all the scrubs I buy because otherwise they are too scratchy to wear.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

I like the way you think girl. The only difference between us is that I'd buy the sheets I like and then repaint everything to match!

:)

Chon said...

Oh you poor thing!! Maybe ring Calvin Klein direct and put in a complaint and see what they can do? Man if it isn't all about fkd up fertility the damn sheets don't work either. hmpf.

Marianne said...

maybe try washing them again with extra downy??

I'm jealous of your king size even if it is uncomfortable!! :)

Rosachka said...

I love my king size bed too, and we have a firm mattress, but I guess I wasn't spoiled by memory foam topper, so the beds in the hotels are too soft for me LOL. I can't believe those expensive shits give you raspberries. I get those every time I stay at a hotel!!! and how many times those sheets were washed :) Hope you can get some nice sheets to match your decor and bedding. Good luck!

a field of dreams said...

I've had my bed/mattress for 8 years too and after reading this, I think I'm too scared to buy new! Why not try soaking the sheets in a fabric softener? I do with mine and it makes a huge difference.

Cherbear said...

I'm with the previous poster who said call Calvin Klein! Grrr, I can't stand sandpaper sheets. If you can manage to return them, I would recommend trying Tuesday Morning for sheets, if you have one nearby. We've always gotten such nice soft high thread count sheets there for a great price. (go with 600 or higher, and if you can find them get the "sateen" sheets, they are softest)

Congrats on upgrading to a King though...we've had one ever since before we got married and I just absolutely love the space!

Bird said...

What kind of SHEETS!!!??? that sounds bad. What was the thread count on those things? Sorry about your rough night. A good nights sleep changes the course of my life regularly so i totally get it. I hope that topper helps.!