Welcome March ICLW’ers!!
Well, I am now 4 days into taking the birth control pills. I am doing okay. They are giving me a bit of nausea, a little headachy and overall "icky feeling." I've been able to shake the nausea by the time I get up in the morning, but haven't been able to this morning. I got really sick while reading on the bus this morning...no more reading on the bus until I discontinue the birth control! I haven’t taken them for over 4 years now....I remember now why I gave up the little SOB's well over a year before we even started trying....because they suck! I just keep thinking how ironic it really is that I took a pill to prevent something from happening for 10 years. Then, for the past 3 years I’ve been fighting for that something to happen. Oh the irony of it all….right? I’m sure the rest of you have had those exact same thoughts.
I am doing better than I was last week. Your guys’ amazing support really helped pull me through it. It was definitely a tough week....DH really helped too. I got home that night and said to DH “are we going to make it through the next 5 weeks?” And he said “we’ve made it through the past 3 years, we can do this, we can make it through anything together.” That made me feel better. The hardest part for me is knowing I have those embryos just waiting for me, to have to wait 3 months before I can bring them home is heartbreaking and nearly unbearable.
We ordered all of our FET meds.....another $500. I know I shouldn't think about all of the $ we've spent, but I realized that we are up to close to $50,000 so far. I'm not even sure how that happened, but it makes me sad. We are blessed to be able to afford this, but at the same time...we've worked so hard for that $ and it sure would have been nice to get free babies like everyone else in the world and spend that $ on THEM! Oh well...I guess it's just the way it goes.
Thanks for all of the comments of understanding on my last post regarding struggling for balance. I was glad to see that so many of you could relate to how I was feeling…it makes me feel less alone in my struggle. I hope my post also helped a lot of you see that YOU are not alone in your struggle….there are so many of us that can relate. I really liked Mrs. BabyDream's analogy…that going through infertility makes you feel like you’ve hit the pause button on your life, and you are only allowed to press play once you finally get that BFP. It is so true. I guess I’ve slowing, little by little been pressing that pause button on my life…not completely fully aware that I was. I really realized it in the last few months…..that the pause button has officially been hit. I want to press that play button again….but like I said, mustering up the energy and strength to do that seems impossible right now.
I had a good talk with the DH the night after I wrote that post. We talked about planning a nice 3-day get-away together one of these next couple of weekends….to give me something to look forward to. Then, we quickly realized that he is traveling 3 out of the 5 weeks leading up to our FET, and doesn’t fly back into town until Friday evenings. The weekend of April 8th would work with his traveling schedule, but I have 2 baby showers to attend that weekend, so we can’t go anywhere. I was really bummed that nothing worked out with our schedules. He said that I should just try to plan a lot of things that I enjoy between now and the transfer….dinners/dates on the weekends with him, pedicures and massages when he is gone, etc. I suppose he is right….I should plan some things. He took me out to lunch twice last week, and met me for a "cookie date" one day....so thoughtful and sweet. We are lucky we work only a few blocks from each other! I’m just going to try my best to keep busy over the next month (oh! one month exactly today!) It seems like it is so far away....I hope it goes by quickly!
Thanks again for ALL of your support....including my real life friends who I know have been reading and keeping up with me.

33 comments:
Krista-You are certainly not alone in your struggle! There are more of us than I ever thought there were! You are blessed-it sounds like you have a wonderful husband at your side during this process. Hang in there!
Joey
http://thechildlessmom.blogspot.com
You are so not alone! We too will be doing our first FET in April, we're thinking probably the 22nd. I'm day 5 on BCP's, so I can totally identify with the icky feeling. Good luck! Happy ICLW!
ICLW #123
Here from ICLW. That's such a good analogy -- hitting pause. I can't seem to let myself move forward. I so want to hit play.
Wishing you a lot of luck on your upcoming cycle!
I hate birth control pills too. They're from the devil.
It's natural to feel the way you do. Good luck! Crossing fingers for you...
BCP are eeeevil!!!
OMG that analogy is too perfect. My pause button has been hit for 2 years. I'm soooo ready to push play already!!!
I think you are absolutely right to keep yourself busy with fun things over the next 4 weeks. It really will help the time pass and give you something to focus on. I've been there too and I totally understand but it will get here before you know it!
Good luck!
Wait....you're going to TWO baby showers instead of a getaway with your man?
You, my dear, are a SAINT.
Stopping in for ICLW! I just want to say how much I LOVE your blog! The tabs (and the content within!) are fantastic, and the quote at the top of your blog ("One day...") made me feel instantly lifted and hopeful. I'm going to add you to my follow list and keep track of your journey! BEST OF LUCK on your IVF cycle! My husband and I are headed in that direction and are currently trying to decide between pay-as-you-go (our insurance covers nothing) or a shared risk program through Attain. What do you think about your shared risk program? Such a big decision, huh?
Marissa- Your comment cracked me up!! One of the showers is for one of my best friends, so I can't miss it. Even with all of my infertile, crazy, self-absorption...I'm still trying to do the right thing in regards to my friends. I have to celebrate other's joys, even when my joy is not here yet..it will be!!
Know your feeling about the Pill and all the money !! The things we do to be able to press 'play' again :)) Love that analogy too. You're certainly not alone and thank you so much for your gorgeous comments on my blog. Great to be sharing this with you xoxo
This will be the BEST 50K you ever spent. I promise!
Thanks for your story and words of wisdom! I forwarded it to my husband -- it's so helpful to hear from others who have had to make this enormous decision! Looking forward to reading your blog and hearing some good news very soon :)
Thanks for the kinds words and positive thoughts. Sounds like your first IVF cycle was hell in the opposite way of mine. I am wishing you so much luck with your FET!
I think ICLW is the best time to get support from women (and men) who have been there, are still there and 100% understand how you feel. Lots of hugs and luck coming your way.
Just visiting from ICLW. You and your hubby are doing the right thing by staying busy and doing things that you enjoy. Life is short, infertile or not. I came to realize that last summer and promptly took a vacation to Cuba. Your post has inspired me today!
Aww a cookie date! :) i love that! it is a bummer that his schedule doesnt allow for real getaway, but ometimes those spontaneous evenings can do wonders for relieving stress...and they are often very inexpensive (double score)
BCPs make me sick too! They are the worst!
But for you, I believe they will be worth it in the end!!!!!!
Wow, how do you manage to attend baby showers in the midst of an FET?! You're much stronger than I would be. Anyway, good luck and it looks like you'll have your transfer just a few weeks before mine!
ICLW #136
Good Luck!!!
BCP Stinks!!! Keep your chin up!
Lavonne @ *Our Wish*
Over from ICLW....TWO baby showers??? How do you do it? I saw skip them and run away together :)
Good luck with your upcoming cycle!
I really admire you for being able to attend not one, but two baby showers in the midst of this craziness. I have one to attend this week and I'm dreading every minute of it.
If you want to meet up sometime when your hubby is out of town, let me know. Mine travels for work too, so I understand how hard it can be sometimes.
Visiting from ICLW. Best of luck to you! I like the analogy that waiting for baby is like pressing pause. That is totally how it feels! Time goes so slowly but so quickly at the same time. Meanwhile I'm spinning my wheels. And I'm with ya on the free baby. I'm not even into the spending thousands of dollars yet, but know how unfair it is! Sounds like you've got a great perspective and you and your husband have the right idea.
ICLW #44
hi from ICLW...hope your FET is a success, and regardless that you are able to find the play button on life again.
You sound alot more positive now, and Im glad to hear that. The weeks will pass quickly, especially with Easter so close. I cannot believe the tally of your baby making thus far. Fertiles would have no idea how expensive it is. I will think twice before whinging about acupuncture prices next time..
I completely agree with you. The amount of money we have spent thus far hurts to ackowledge, and although I would go brankrupt trying to have a child, I would much rather have been able to spend that money on trips to Disneyland. Where can we sign up for those free babies, I want one too :-). Good luck to you this month with your FET. I am in the process of mine right now but somehow I seem to be ovulating on my own so I have to go back in tomorrow to find out if my FET is canceled. Oh well, there is always next month!
It is hard to think of that money being spent on what so many others get for free, but it won't matter in the end, if you get the result that you long for. I hope that you do, and I hope you find ways to treat yourself in the upcoming weeks.
ICLW
Visiting from Cycle Sisters - and so glad to have found your blog. this is one crazy ride that we are on. The financial costs are insane - I am updating our spreadsheet and expect that we've hit the 50k mark, and strangely all I can feel is gratitude that we've been able to afford this treatment.
Good luck being on the pill. What a gawd awful experience that was for me! worst part of the whole ivf process.
Take care and good luck!!!
I love your attitude that you can do anything together. Inspiring.
I totally agree with Melissa on this one....you are one true saint if you're going to two baby showers instead of vacay. I bow to thee. LOL! Much luck to you with your FET....mine will probably be in June....crossing fingers and toes for us both. :-)
Okay girls, so I can't believe how many comments I got about baby showers after this post! I really didn't think anything of it when I wrote it, but it seems you are all shocked that I am still attending baby showers and even more shocked that I'd give up a weekend away with hubs to attend them.
The thing is....one of them is for one of my best friends. She really has been there for me through all of the infertility stuff. I just keep thinking that the best thing to do is support her and celebrate her joy with her, because I know she'll do the same for me when my time comes.
As far as the other shower, it is for a girl in my Junior League group. There is 10 of us in the group. They'd notice if I wasn't there. We all get together once a month and the shower is our April get-together. The girl whose shower it is....she is a really sweet girl and I also want to celebrate her joy and be there for her, because I know she'll do the same for me when my times comes.
So, though it is hard...and I do have my boundaries...going to showers is still important to me because celebrating babies is a beautiful thing! I'll be okay...I know it may be hard at times, but it is the right thing to do. I'm pretty open with people now, so if I get the questions, I just tell em what's up!
I am one that sticks to my word....I said I'd be at the showers, so I plan to be there! :-) I'm not a saint, I just stick by my word and I truly AM happy for these friends, even if I am still sad for myself.
Hubby and I can plan another weekend after the transfer. The weekend get-away doesn't have to be before the transfer....I was just trying to pass the time. We'll figure something else out!! :-)
ICLW #25- good luck-I say buy another set of sheets and try an eye pillow- it helps me turn off my brain.
Hello new friend!
Here from the ICLW. My name is Kim and I am the editor of The Ladies in Waiting Book Club.
I am on BCPs right now too... I've been weepy, bloated, and my skin is a mess. I HATE BCPs... hopefully this will lead us right to our BFPs... though. :o) May it all be worth it!
Post a Comment