Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, June 17, 2011

IVF # FET #2 CD 12 What I am doing differently.....

Thank you all for your sweet comments on my difficult first PIO injection. I could barely walk all day long yesterday...I was seriously limping around...it hurt like hell! All day long I just kept thinking...if this is the way the PIO shots are going to be, I'm going to have to wuss out and go back to the suppositories! But, this morning, I drove up to the clinic to have one of the nurses give me the shot. She took one look at my leg and said "ugh...don't EVER give yourself an injection in the leg again. Always come here and I'll do it for you!" I was like "no problem!" My leg is feeling slightly better today...it is still ugly with blood pooled around the injection site and I am still limping, but not as noticeable. I've been icing it a lot which is helping some. Let me tell you.....I had an IM injection on Wednesday (hcg,) and another one this morning (PIO) and they feeling NOTHING like my leg does! My hip/butt is sore...but my leg is seriously injured and a MUCH deeper/sharper pain...not just a soreness! Don't EVER give yourself an IM injection in your leg...EVER!  DH is home now and all is well...he'll be doing the shots from now on and let's just hope we don't have anymore incidents like that one!

As promised, I wanted to give a run-down of everything we are doing different this cycle. As we were getting ready to enter into the cycle for our next FET, I couldn’t help but think of every little thing I could possibly do different this time to give our cycle a better chance for success. I’m just one of those people who refuses to just “do the same thing we always have” when it clearly did not work. So, I did a lot of research, talked to a lot of friends and made some decisions on things I can do differently this cycle...some are my choice, some are my RE's choice.  Here is the list:

-I have cut gluten and sweets/desserts out of my diet. Yes, this is not easy, but I’ve done it before I know I can keep it up. Planning meals ahead of time and having gluten and sugar free snacks around are KEY!

-I am cut out my cup of decaf coffee with vanilla creamer in the morning and substituting it with tea throughout the day. My acupuncturist recommends lemon balm and red rooibos teas. I asked if these would just put me to sleep and she said....no, the teas will just help take "the edge" off (meaning the anxiety and stress,) which will in turn give me more energy since I won't be using up all of my energy on the anxiety and stress.

-I am continuing to drink lots of water with lemon (this helps alkalize the body, mine tends to run a bit acidic.)

-As you all know...I am doing the progesterone in oil shots rather than the progesterone suppositories. It is still a debate as to which is better but Dr. B said that he’s seen more success with the PIO shots.

-My estrogen patches are different this time. Last time they were these huge annoying thick pads that wouldn't stay down, this time they are small clear patches that actually STICK! What a concept! Make sure you get "climara" patches, the other ones are shit!

-I am only taking 2 days off work for transfer. I took 4 off last time and I feel like it made me obsess too much.

-I am staying completely away from google and forums. I am limiting my blogging time too, so you might not hear from me too much in the 2WW.

-I plan to stay busier during the 2WW and try to keep focused on other things.

-I am doing 2 sessions of acupuncture right before transfer and then another session a few days into the 2WW.

-We are transferring THREE embryos. You may think I am crazy, but we have good reason. We heard that embryos actually help each other attach, so the more you have in there the more likely you are to have them attach. If we don’t conceive this time, we can’t just do another FET with whatever embryos we have left, we have to move to another fresh cycle (due to the program we are enrolled in.) And, we all know how the fresh cycle went……so in order to try and avoid another fresh cycle, we are choosing to “throw the kitchen sink” at this cycle.

-I am taking prednisone.

-I am giving myself a lovenox injection each day for elevated anti-cardiolipin antibodies. Please let this be my answer!!

-I am taking a super b complex vitamin each day to help with the MTHFR mutation.

-I hope to stay much calmer this cycle and try not to dwell on every single little twinge or cramp or emotion. I am going to just stick to the plan and hope that everything I’ve done is enough to give me a sticky baby!

If any of you have any other suggestions, please DO share! I had planned on doing the bromelaine (pineapple core,) but found out that it is a blood thinner, and since I am already doing a blood thinner (lovenox,) I didn't think that would be too safe. Also, I drink fertility tea which has red raspberry in it, and my acupuncturist said to make sure to stop red raspberry at least a week before transfer because it has been shown to cause uterine contractions...not good when you're trying to get sticky babies in there! I know that I don't have a whole heck of a lot of control over the outcome...if the embryos are good and my uterus is receptive we'll get pregnant, but it makes me feel better to at least be doing something!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. I have heard red raspberry leaf tea is good to help prep the uterus, pineapple (core) helps implantation and mediate. The truth is...who knows!!! just do stuff that makes you comfortable and happy :) xo

B- said...

Sounds like agreat plan! I definitely couldn't cut sugar out of my diet! I have a really good feeling for you- maybe even multiples! Fingers crossed!

Marissa said...

Woohoo!! Fingers crossed that the kitchen-sink approach does the trick!

And kuddos on the GF thing. Wow...I love pretty much everything made with gluten. You're one dedicated momma-to-be!

clewis said...

Sounds like you have a good plan for this cycle. I dont think you are crazy transferring 3!!!! Imagine all 3 stuck! woah!! I'm feeling good that this cycle will work. Cant wait to read the next step. Thanks for continuing to read my blog. Feel free not to if it gets to hard. thanks crista

Nikki said...

Krista - It sounds like you have a solid plan in place! I don't blame you for planing on transferring 3. This process is just too hard to not give yourself the best opportunity to bring home a baby!

Anonymous said...

To be honest...I am a BIG fan of the PIO shots...I truly believe that they work better. The one cycle I did vag supps...was my BFN. Your new plan sounds perfect and I believe it will only lead to success.

Oh I cannot wait to see how many little ones God blesses you with!!! Just think "technically" you're pregnant already :)...just believe it!!!

Jos said...

Sounds like a great plan!!
I ate pineapple core for implantation too on my BFP cycle.. who knows if it works, but I figured either way, I was getting some fruit in me. :)
Circle+Bloom meditation helps a lot too!

Unknown said...

EXCELLENT plan my dear! Well thought out and planned out and extremely follow-able. Wow even giving up decaf. YOU GO GIRL! 3 more days..! *fingers crossed* So have you entertained the thought that you might end up with triplets? How AWESOME would that be! You could totally carry all 3 if they all stuck. What a miracle that would be. I just cannot wait for your BFP. Glad DH is back to take over injections. phew. Hope they leg heals quickly! Thought of any activities for your 2ww?

tsauber said...

Sounds like a great plan. FYI-I cut out all white fast carbs-not just gluten free and that seemed to help as our last IVF worked. Your plan is so similar, it's scary! You reminded me I quit decaf coffee too and just stuck to soothing teas. 1st transfer I took no time off from work and second transfer (the one that worked) I took 2 days plus a weekend off and it worked-so I'm a little worried about you only taking 2 days off-but if you'll obsess too much-that might be just the thing for you! Maybe you could take time off, but plan to do something fun and relaxing???? Just a thought! I'm sending you all my positive vibes and prayers too! This has to be the cycle for you! And I'm so glad you went to nurse for the IM shot. Never again in the leg...you sure cured me of my thoughts of trying that! Cannnot wait for your BFP!!!!

Kelli said...

I hope all these things make a difference for you. I also hope your leg is healing. hugs!!

Chon said...

Hon I am wishing you all the luck in the world. You poor thing with the shots that would kill! Big hugs

LC said...

All very healthy changes! GL to you honey...this is it!!!!!

Miss Mac said...

You are doing everything... and then some... to give those embabies the best possible chance to stick & stay! I survived PIO with slightly warming the oil, ice on the backside and massaging the spot afterwards. I wouldn't say it got better (kept a sore rump) but it got easier. Stinks about the shot in the leg, I had sympathy pain just reading about it! Wish you all the best...tripled:] Good luck Krista!

laurieb145 said...

Fingers crossed that this makes a bi difference for you.Seems like a great plan though!

Jen said...

It sounds like you are making some great changes Krista! Thank you so much for posting, it gives me a lot of ideas, too! Sending you the best of the best!!

justagirl-Krista said...

Thanks for sharing that sounds like a great plan! Best wishes!

Lori B. said...

Oh my goodness I am so excited for you!!! I hope this it and with three embryos, maybe it will be twins :-) Just stay busy and stay POSITIVE!!! Good luck girl!

Baby Hopes said...

Such a great plan! Thank you for sharing these thoughts and ideas! I'm planning to implement some of them!

A. said...

I loved looking at your list, Krista! Sounds like a great plan! I am so hopeful for you this cycle.

My (In)fertile Confessions said...

Sounds like a great plan! I wasn't able to do the P4 shots. My DH is affraid of needles and I didn't have the guts to do them myself. I think I made a good choice considering how much pain you're in! Ouch! I had to do suppositories 3x/day... they worked just as good! I was able to get off them completely at 8 weeks because my P4 levels were so high.

Try not to stress and take one day at a time! I also did 48 hours STRICT bedrest after the transfer. Good luck!!!!