I plan to go private this weekend...so if you haven't sent me your email address yet...please do it! My email address is schellkrista@yahoo.com, or you can leave me a comment here. This will be my last update before I go private.
Many of you have been emailing asking how I am doing, so I thought I'd go ahead and put up an update today. I do feel like I have a lot to tell you all since I haven't updated in awhile. It has really been a tough few weeks for us....we've had so many ups and downs...a lot of downs, but there has been some ups too, and the two of us are surviving and honestly...that's all I can ask for right now. We are working on how best to support each other through this process....this is something that is painful yet needed. There has been some rough spots, but the rough spots have led to a better understanding of each other's needs, so I know they are necessary. Our marriage is growing stronger through the pain and I can't help but feel blessed by that.
DH and I have also realized that when you go through really difficult things in life...you come to a lot of realizations...both positive and negative. Even though there has been a lot of negative realizations...I think it has been very good that I know them now, even if the initial realization is painful. One of my mottos in life has always been to surround myself with people who make me feel good and lift my spirits, rather than hurt me or make me feel bad, and that motto couldn't be more important than right now. I've met so many amazing women through this process, and that helps get me through not only the journey, but also through the painful realizations that this journey inevitably brings. I would like to give a couple of quick shout-outs. One to my girl, Niki N...thanks for helping get me through this past weekend, my darling....my prayers are always with you and that sticky baby you have in there! And my Carlin....my "rock" friend, who is there when things are both rooty tooty and really shitty. And lastly, my best friend, Michelle who has been by my side for the past 15 years....your unending love of me and my life is more then I deserve...even on my best day.
My update is that I had my hysteroscopy on the 10th. I’m not gonna say it was an easy procedure, because frankly….it wasn’t too much fun. I didn’t know what to expect, I was really nervous going into the appointment. I thought the procedure was going to be with Dr. B so I was prepared to talk to him about the left ovary pain I’ve had for a year and a half that no one can seem to figure out what it is. I feel like I’ve learned to live with it for so long that I hardly ever bring it up anymore. However, right before that appointment I realized that it is worst when I am on my period (because I had just been on it,) so I decided to talk to Dr. B about it. Unfortunately, Dr. S was doing my procedure, but I decided to talk to him about it anyway. He immediately decided to get me out of the hysteroscopy chair and into the ultrasound room to check my ovaries for anything funny (mind you, I was already naked from the waist down and the ultrasound room is down the hall, fun stuff? oh yes.) Just as I expected…the ovaries look perfect…nothing abnormal there. I’ve had them checked numerous times in the past year and a half and nothing is ever found (I’ve even had an abdominal CT scan.) Dr. S thought it would be best to talk to Dr. B about it, though he did say that he had no reason to believe the pain would inhibit me from conceiving. He thought it could possibly be a small spot of endo on my ovary which would not be detected by ultrasound. So, my next step would be a laparoscopic surgery to see what is there…if anything. But, again he said I should talk to Dr. B about it….he said it’s more of a pain issue than a fertility issue. Once I tracked down Dr. B, he too said he doesn't see this as something that will inhibit us from conceiving, but would be open to investigating it through a lap if I so choose. So….I don’t know what the right decision would be. I am tabling it for now and will deal with it again when I am ready.
Anywho, they put my bottom half WAY up in the air and started the procedure….I did not like it. He numbed up my cervix and the numbing medicine made me immediately dizzy (which he warned me would probably happen,) so I had to get hooked up to oxygen…whoopee! Then, in the scope went, I could feel it moving around taking pictures of the inside of my uterus. It only lasted for about 5 minutes. The worst part was the cramping, they expand your uterus with gas so it feels like a constant cramp. I was GLAD to have that procedure over with! Of course, my uterus is A+! It was cool to see the pics of the inside of the uterus....she looks good! When I talked to Dr. B about it later he said my uterus is "perfect."
My blood work for immune issues that I had done at my WTF appointment came back (most of it)…to be honest, DH thought I was crazy but I really hoped that something would come back showing something wrong. I'm sure many of you can understand WHY I hoped for this. After TTC for nearly 3 years now with no real explanation as to why we haven't conceived, and not a damn thing wrong with either of us....I pray for something to be found so that we'd at least have some answers and something to treat instead of shooting darts in the dark. But thus...the blood tests did not give us any indication as to why the transfer failed. The only thing that was found was the MTHFR mutation, which from what I understand is pretty common and should not affect implantation of an embryo. This could, however pose a problem when/if I get pregnant. MTHFR stands for methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase. This is an enzyme that is involved in amino acid metabolism in the body. Mutations in the MTHFR gene affects how a person's body processes homocysteine, an amino acid found in the blood. People with MTHFR gene mutations have elevated levels of homocysteine, which is a potential risk for miscarriage. Also, people with MTHFR gene mutations can have a decreased ability to metabolize folic acid and other B vitamins, which means I will definitely need to increase my intake of B vitamins and folic acid. My RE also told me that the MTHFR mutation could potentially be an indicator of a cardiovascular problem, so I will have to have some more testing before we can move forward.
However, this still doesn’t explain why two perfect blastocysts did not make it. The equation just doesn’t add up to me:
Nothing wrong with me + transferring of two beautiful blastocysts = No Baby
I think one of the most difficult things for me to realize in all this is that this is all completely out of my control. I have absolutely no control over the outcome and there’s not a dang thing I can do to make sure we have success. I hate the feeling of being completely out of control over something I want so bad. The one and ONLY thing we do have control over is continuing to try until we have success.
Remember to send me your email address if you haven't yet!

17 comments:
Sometimes i feellike i could have typed you entire posts. it's eerie. But i'm glad you two have been pulled closer despite the earth shaking blow that one of these failed processes leave behind. I hope you continue to learn and grow and support each other.
I'm still pulling for your next cycle. Your time is coming.
I had an exploratory lap because of pain on one side and I did get diagnosed with endo. Even if that's it for you, there's really no point messing with it right now. You'd be taking a risk of getting adhesions, infection, etc. but without increasing your chance of success with FET. If it is endo that pain should go away once you get pregnant. I'm hoping that's right around the corner for you!
It's sooooo hard to know that something is out of your control. All your life you're told "if you believe and work hard enough, you can accomplish anything." It's cruel to find out that sometimes that just isn't true.
I definitely want to keep following you! My email address is eternalguestroom@gmail.com.
unfortentely sometimes its just bad luck. Even if you have nothing wrong with you my doctor says its like rolling the dice and trying to get the right side, eventually it will land on the right side
I have grade IV endo. It was diagnosed at my 1st lap (I have had 3). I would not bother having a lap, they have surgically removed ,y endo and lasered it away and yet it still grows back. All I have to show for it is lots of scars and adhesions!! I would keep going with the IVF and accept it may be endo and leave it at that for now.
Pleased your uterus got an A+.
x
I <3 you girl and will aways be there for you! I am looking forward to your next transfer and glad to hear you and DH are doing well together, IF sticks couples together like GLUE. I am glad you did the immunity testing! Hysteroscopys are painful. =( I still have nightmares from mine. lol =( I just know next transfer is going to be it! Don't forget to buy some Bromelain! *thumsb up*
I agree with CLEWIS In your case it is just BAD LUCK. Don't drive yourself crazy reasoning it out. Your time will come the odds are on YOUR side!
Praying for you!
This whole process is so hard and I agree with you - I'd prefer to have an answer and then be able to find a solution. I find the lack of control over this whole thing so frustrating too... if only it were predictable and clear so that we knew where we stand and what the outcome will be. I've been thinking of you often and look forward to sharing this journey with you. You are an amazing person and great that you can see the silver linings as well. Your compassion for others and your kind heartedness is so lovely. Love to you always and here for you every step of the way xoxo
I thought you were swearing when you wrote MTHFR!!
So your Ute is Beaut, which I'm glad to hear, but still I undertstand wanting to find an issue. Unexplained IF is a MTHFR as far as I'm concerned. I will follow your journey till that baby/ies are in your arms...
Tee xo
HI Krista,
Please do add me to your private blog. You r my only valve when i feel low. u always pick me up. Noone else understands what i m going thru... My email id is smithzzzz@gmail.com
Thanks
Smitha
Love you Krista!!! I really enjoy reading your posts - I feel so connected to you as I can relate to so much of what you are writing. Your positivity keeps me afloat..thank you.
I'm so glad you posted an update. I know the frustration of everything looking "perfect" when all you want is to find a reason for the infertility. :( It can be so depressing. :-/ It's hard to realize you aren't in control. Even so, I remain very hopeful that the next cycle is your time. I look forward to reading along and supporting you through it.
Krista, I'm so sorry. I wish the answers and solutions were so much more clear. Sending out thoughts and love to you and your dear husband. A failed IVF is absolutely crushing... I can only imagine what an FET would feel like... you've been through so much. And you're such a sweetheart and encourager. I'm praying with every hope that your babe(s) come to you soon. This disease is so ugly and unfair, stealing hope and love from women that will make such wonderful mothers. Cheering you along all the way...
babyhopes2003@gmail.com (just to be sure!)
Hi Krista,
I can understand why you would wish for an answer even if it's a tricky thing. An answer is an answer and I think (even if not so great) it would provide some sort of peace for you (and me)as to why things don't work out as we would hope.
=0)
I too struggled with why two perfectly good embryos didn't result in at least one baby with my last fresh cycle. The only thing I can figure is that something wasn't right with them even though they looked perfect. Perhaps they would have resulted in miscarriage, perhaps they would have had some fatal diagnosis, who knows? For whatever reason God had other plans for both of us and our embryos, and all I can and have to believe is that it's because he has something better planned for us. Thinking of you, and hoping some answers come for you.
Always praying for you (and the hubby) and that your prayers will be answered!!!
Krista,
Dont get to down about the MTHFR mutation I have that as well. I have the double mutation, all we did was increase my folic acid, and took a few extra vitimins and blood thinners during pregnancy. Talk to your doc about taking an asprin a day, that is what they have me doing right now. Hope you are doing ok. Remember to find hope in the little things in life. :)
I was reading this post this AM in Starbucks waiting to go in for my hysteroscopy and had to stop just in case you had bad things to say about the procedure. lol.
Anyway, I'm reading between the lines here and don't know exactly what's been going on, but wanted to let you know my husband and I went through some REALLY hard times after the 2 chemical pregnancies we had last year. Essentially boiled down to I was really upset about it and wanted to talk about it and for him to support me, and his way of dealing with it was to just let it go and move on to the next thing. He didn't get my grief at all and it was so hard for us to work that out. But we did and our marriage is stronger because of it and this last round we were really able to be there for each other.
Anyway, your situation may be totally different but just wanted to say you're not the only one whose relationship has been under some strain because of all this. You have my email now so if you ever want to talk privately about this feel free...
Hugs to you...
Post a Comment