Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Cures for Nausea?

Okay, I know many of you out there have dealt with pretty intense nausea (from pregnancy, medications, etc)...if this is you, please give me some advice! I tried taking two doses of the metformin for a few days and it made me very nauseous. I scaled back to one a day and it is still making me nauseous....I threw up my entire dinner last night....barely made it to the bathroom! Oh Lord!!

DH seems to think I may be able to take something with it, but I don't know what....ginger ale or something? I really want to stay on the metformin, but I certainly can't be sick everyday. If you have any advice, home remedies, etc.....please share!!

As a side note, I've been on the Metformin since early October...I took a half a pill for a few weeks, then worked up to one pill for a month or so, but I haven't been able to get past more than one pill without getting sick! I take it with food too.

Thank you for any advice!

12 comments:

Alex said...

Oh this is terrible! Ginger ale, and anything ginger - take some real ginger and boil it in water to make a tea - helps me. But if it's really bad, perhaps ask the doctor for advice. Throwing up should not be a part of the routine...

Krista said...

Thanks Alex, I asked my doctor and they basically said take it with food and take it at different times during the day. I've tried everything! URGH! I've been able to work up to one dosage, but anymore then that just sends me over the edge....frustrating!

Brandi Hudack said...

Hello!! I take 1000mg a day and when I first started it was awful. I think I stayed sick about 3 times a day for the first two weeks. I started just doing 1 pill (500mg) with dinner. At times I'd be up in the middle of the night sick. After about a week I added the other pill with breakfast. Finally after about 3 weeks I started to feel better and be able to handle it. My doctor said the name brand has an extended release version. Its more expensive but apparently helps with the sickness. Best of luck!!

Wifey said...

Get some motion sickness bracelets by Seabands. Honestly, it may seem strange because you're not on a boat, but when I was pregnant, they were a lifesaver. You can wear them however much you need to. They really do work. Otherwise, lick salt off of pretzels or saltines, drink some ginger ale, suck on wintergreen hard candy, or suck the sour sugar off of Sour Patch Kids.

Krista said...

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Hudack Family-I've actually been on the metformin for over 2 months....trying to work up to the recommended dosage. I can now take 1 pill, but anything beyond that gives me intense nausea. I've tried working up, but nothing is working. I get my prescriptions filled at kaiser and they do not carry the extended release...I asked already. :-(
Wifey- I'll definitely look into the Seabands! I've been craving salt lately...must be from the nausea!

Anonymous said...

ginger ale or flat soda. Also, ginger is supposed to help with nausea - do you have any asian grocery stores or anything near you? They make ginger sucking and chewable candies that might help.

My (In)fertile Confessions said...

I take 2250mg... I know crazy! I started with 500 and worked my way up to 1500, adding 500 per week. I did have a little nausea but not severe. I also would eat mini meal with protein at each meal to keep things balanced, thats what helped the most for me.

Are you on Extended release? If not, get it!

I had my met upped last summer when I got bloodwork back and my androgens were still a little high. I am a lean pcos, but have acne... that was my sign I needed it upped!

Annie said...

I see lots of people have already mentioned ginger. I find it helps to have something to suck on and to snack very frequently (my hubby says my backside is looking bigger lately - sigh).

marilyn said...

okay- so this is what I did. First..just take one at night for the first week. get saltines and 7 up or ginger ale. The next week take one at lunch and one at dinner. do not forget to eat while you take the medicine. Slowly incorporate it for every meal. The nausea never truly goes a way.....completely..but lessens with intensity. Just be sure to have saltines and slowly incorporate the pills. If it is too intense just use it once or twice a day. I hope this is helpful...maybe..cut the pill in half..

Amber said...

Hope the nausea gets better soon- sounds like some good advice above! Happy ICLW!

Kim said...

Hi, stopping by for ICLW. Once I had a bad reaction to antibiotics. I took it with yogurt, and drank it down with milk. That is what the pharmacist recommended. It helped, and I didn't have the reaction ever again. Hopefully that will help you too. Good luck. Best wishes for you up comong ivf as well. ICLW #69

Lynn said...

I honestly thought I remembered having responded to this! Oh, well, I'll just write again :D

I found the first couple of weeks on Met to be really bad for me. The nausea was intense! After a couple of weeks, though, the nausea went away. I still suffered from an upset stomach, but the nausea had gone. While it was around though, salty things (such as saltine crackers) helped immensely! Good luck!