Well, I had my CD13 appointment with the RE today. It was pretty painless and uneventful. I had my ultrasound and had one big 21mm follicle on my left ovary. My uterine lining was only at 6mm….which isn’t great. They say a follicle above 16mm is mature, so I am okay there. But, it is ideal for the lining to be above 8mm. This is not to say that you can’t conceive when the lining is only at 6mm, but the chances are lessoned. The RE said that since there was a mature follicle that we should go ahead and trigger with hCG to induce ovulation. They usually don’t like the follicles to get too big because then they get overly ripened, and cannot be fertilized. So, the mature follicle needed to come out even if my lining still isn’t great. The RE said that my lining is trilaminar in shape which is the most important thing, the thinness probably won’t completely keep me from conceiving. So, instead of waiting and doing the hCG shot at home, we decided to have the nurse do it right there in the office. Let me tell you how weird it is to be completely buck naked from the waist down and standing there (with your husband watching,) having the nurse behind you giving you a shot in your butt! I guess at this point....nothing is awkward for me anymore!
I don’t know if this was the right decision or not. Should I have given it a day or 2 longer to see if the lining thickened up and maybe I would have more than one mature follicle? I don’t know. I guess I just kept thinking that this cycle is just one more month between the time we are starting IVF, so I just want to get it over with. There is nothing that is telling me that this month would be a success, considering that we’ve been down this same road before (see February 2010.) I just wanted to make it as easy as possible, and so it seemed just getting the hCG shot right then and there would be easiest. Rather than waiting another day, having blood tests, another ultrasound, a wait at the pharmacy, DH giving me the shot at home, etc. I just wanted to get it over with.
DH and I are now supposed to BD for the next 3 nights. We’ll see how that goes! For sure, we are supposed to BD tonight and tomorrow night. We’ll see how DH is feeling by day 3. I’m really not stressing much over this cycle, and unfortunately not holding out much hope either. It’s not that I am pessimistic, it’s just that conditions have been even more “optimal” than this in the past and we still didn’t conceive….so I’m just being realistic.

No comments:
Post a Comment