Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, November 12, 2010

Here we go again!

Well, another exciting and fun cycle has begun in the Schell household (aren’t you all glad you read my blog now and can find out this very interesting information!)

We have decided to try one last cycle with Letrozole (fertility drug.) We tried Letrozole two times at the beginning of this year…both with IUI, and had a good response (a few mature follicles,) so we thought we’d give it one last try now with the Metformin mixed in. However, we are not going to do an IUI with this cycle. I am confident in DH’s “little men,” so we both feel like IUI would be a waste of time, money and would cause extra stress. So, we are choosing to throw in the Letrozole with the Meformin and try things “the old fashion way” (as I’ve come to calling how the “rest of the world” makes babies.)

I had two more blood tests yesterday. These were to check my hormone levels at the start of my cycle to help my IVF RE determine the types and strength of my stimulation meds if we have to start IVF. I also had a “baseline ultrasound” today to check and make sure I don’t have any cysts.

I will start Letrozole today, which is day 3 of my cycle and will take for 5 days. I will go in on day 13 of my cycle to check my follicles, uterine lining and have another blood test. If I have some mature follicles, my lining looks good, and I am not having an LH surge on my own…..we can trigger with an HCG shot to cause ovulation. If Letrozole and Metformin don’t work…..then IVF will really be our last option. This is our last chance before we “bring out the big guns,” and “write the big check.”

If November is not successful, December will be full of more testing, more appointments, purchasing drugs, etc. For those that are interested….I’ve included an estimated calendar on the left side of my blog of how things will move forward with IVF if November is not successful. This WILL change in one way or another, because that is the nature of the IVF game, but this gives you an idea of a basic outline and what we have in front of us. I will continue to update this calendar as we know more. We pray we don’t have to go the IVF route, but we are mentally, physically and emotionally preparing ourselves.

No comments: