So, I had a dentist appointment yesterday….it was "different" to say the least. I knew that my dentist and his wife were going through infertility (I have no idea how the subject came up, but it did one day a few years back.) He and his wife were getting close to 40, and even though the wife was not ready for children, as she neared 40, she decided she wanted children. They started TTC naturally….no luck. They went through all of the basic infertility treatments…..meds, IUI's, etc. They were not able to conceive. They finally decided to see an infertility specialist here in Colorado, and had a consult about IVF. The consult scared them (especially the wife,) and they weren't sure if they wanted to go through with it. A year passed, and the wife finally decided that she wanted to give it a try. Unfortunately, (and I just found this out yesterday,) they were not able to use her eggs, as there were some issues with them. They used donor eggs, and had their IVF in June 2008. They were so very fortunate, and were able to conceive on the first try! Their beautiful twin girls were born in March 2009.
My dentist stayed after my appointment speaking with me, through his lunch break. It was an interesting talk….usually it wouldn't be that "different" for me to talk about infertility with people. But, it was different since it was my dentist! I cried, as I usually do when the subject comes up, and he gave me a big hug and was so kind about it all. He basically told me that he believes that if you are not getting pregnant naturally (the old fashioned way,) then IUI's are basically useless and a money pit. Even though I've been suspecting this myself, it was interesting hearing it from him. We've wasted quite a bit of money on meds and IUI's over the past 6 months or so. As usual, I am questioning whether or not I want to finish out the rest of the year with IUI's before we switch insurances, and move to IVF next year. Part of me would rather finish out the year…..with a break from all of this infertility, and then start anew next year with a procedure that is over 60% effective. It's such a tough call, because there IS always that small chance we could conceive with meds and IUI, but is that small chance big enough to go through the emotional, physical and of course…financial hardship? I don't know.
I told hubby about the talk with the dentist, and he didn't say much. I think he was just taking it in, and trying to process it. IVF is not an easy decision and I'm certainly not taking it lightly. But, at the same time….it is something we seriously need to consider. Hubby and I are going to take some time on Friday afternoon to call around to a few insurance companies to see if any of them offer infertility treatment. Please keep your fingers crossed! My dentist told me that he spent $65,000 on trying to conceive. Of course, it is totally worth it now because they have two beautiful girls to show for it. He made a good point….what's the use in sitting on all your money, if there are no babies? Hubby and I could certainly still be happy, but I know we'd be even happier if there were babies. We have to at least give it a try!

No comments:
Post a Comment