Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 5, 2012

31 Weeks - What a Week!

Sorry I've been so crappy about commenting on everyone's blogs lately. I have been trying my best to keep up with you all, but things have been a bit crazy, so I haven't had a chance to actually comment.

I had my phone meeting with the dietitian for my GD a week ago. It went well I suppose. She figured out my calorie and carb intake and said I should be eating 2900 calories a day, with 300 grams of carbs, cut out all sugars and desserts (all the good stuff....boooo,) and stick to proteins and veggies as much as possible. It's been going well and even though I miss all the "good" stuff, I've been testing my blood sugars 4 times a day and haven't had one that was too high...so I am thankful for that.

On Friday morning, I had an appointment with the nurse to learn how to use my blood sugar monitor. I was told to stop at the pharmacy before my appointment and pick up the monitor. Unfortunately, when I got to the pharmacy, I was told that no one had called in the monitor for me....ugh! Luckily, I was there about an hour early because I had a feeling the pharmacy was going to be crazy because of the holiday weekend  (which is was.) So, I waited another 30 minutes and decided to go ask again if the monitor was ready. I was told that they had left a message with the OB office but no one had called them back yet! I told them my appointment was in 20 minutes and I needed the monitor! So, after about 20 more minutes they finally talked to someone in OB and the pharmacist rushed my "prescription" and I got the monitor in the nick of time (an hour later, mind you!) I showed up to my appointment right on time and still had to wait 25 minutes to see the nurse! I was finally called back and first thing she did was check my vitals...unfortunately my blood pressure was elevated (144/90,) so she said we'd check it again at the end of the appointment. The appointment took about an hour...she went on and on about GD, how they don't know what causes it, the diet, how I need to count baby kicks (do they have any idea how difficult that is with twins?!,) learning how to use the monitor, making my weekly appointments with my OB, etc. She took my BP again at the end of the appointment and unfortunately, it was still slightly elevated. So, she had to go track down one of the OB's to see what to do. She came back in 15 minutes later and told me the OB wants me to have the PIH (pregnancy induced hypertension) labs done today. Bleh! So, down to the lab I went.....took about another hour or so to do the urine sample, wait to be called back and have my blood drawn. So, in total I was there for over 3 hours for an appointment I thought would take 30 minutes!

That night (Friday) around 6:30 I got a call from the hospital....it was the OB that was working that night. She said my blood results all came back fine, but that I had a slight amount of protein in my urine (I think she said it needs to be under .2 and mine was .23 or something like that.) So, she wanted me to do the 24 hour urine test ASAP! She told us we'd need to drive to the hospital that night to pick up the urine jug and start the test first thing in the morning. So, at 7pm on Friday night Matt and I had to drive 30 minutes to the hospital to pick up the damn thing! I started it on Saturday morning and on Sunday morning we had to drive the urine back to the hospital to drop it off. Unfortunately, it was New Years day so most of the hospital was closed. We roamed around trying to figure out where we were supposed to drop it off. The security guard finally told us to go to the ER. The ER didn't know what to do with us, but finally figured it out after multiple calls. We had to get completely checked in before they'd take the urine which took 30 minutes! Then they found someone from the lab to come and get the damn urine! A few hours later the OB that was working at the hospital called me and said my urine was perfectly fine, no sign of pre-eclampsia...hallelujah, finally some good news!! But, he did say I'd probably have to do this test a few more times before the boys get here. But, crisis averted for the time being! It was definitely a crazy week!!

Yesterday, I met with the perinatologist. Matt wasn't able to go with me due to his work schedule which I was bummed about. After the week I'd had I was sure I was going to get some bad news and be there all alone! But, both boys looked spectacular! Even the perinatologist commented that she wished all of their twins looked as good at mine....made me feel soooo good! They are both just under 4 pounds now (I can't believe I am packing 7.5 pounds of baby right now!) Both heart rates were great, all measurements looked perfect, they are measuring within 5% of each other. Baby A is still head down and right on my bladder/cervix and Baby B has turned breech.

I have no signs of pre-term labor at this point but as a precaution she put me on a sort of modified bed rest and said this is standard for twins at this point in the pregnancy. Basically, if I were working I'd have to stop, and I have to rest as much as possible. No out and about shopping for long periods of time or house chores that take more than a few minutes. I can still drive places as long as I'm not on my feet a lot, I can still make myself light meals, etc. I pretty much can't do anything where I'd be on my feet for more than 10 minutes without resting. Thank goodness the nursery is done and I have left my job already!

I'll also be starting twice a week non-stress tests next week. So, between seeing my OB once a week, twice a week non-stress tests and my perinatologist appointments, I'm going to be busy with appointments! But, we only have 5-7 more weeks to get through so I can do it!! We also have 3 more prenatal classes over the next 3 weekends, so even our weekends are booked up! On my way home yesterday, I stopped at Babies R Us and purchased enough diapers to get us through the first few months.....so I'm pretty sure at this point we have everything we need for these two little guys. Now....we just wait.....

How Far Along: 31 weeks 

Size of Baby: Both are around 3.75 pounds each now....about the size of a squash!

Picture of Baby: They are so squished in there and in such funny positions, I don't think we'll get anymore pics at this point in the pregnancy. You can't even see Baby A's face anymore he is so far down. I did see Baby B's profile today...he has some chubby cheeks!

Maternity Clothes: All!

Weight Gain:  Up 3 more pounds, total gain 53 pounds (starting weight 105, weighed 158 today.)

Belly:




Stretch Marks: None yet!

Sleep:  I've been tired lately, I know this is because I am in the last few weeks of a twin pregnancy. I pretty much hit a brick wall every day in the afternoon and need to go take a hour or two nap...I know I need it because I fall asleep instantly and make all kinds of weird noises! Unfortunately, Baby A is right on my bladder so I have to get up about once an hour to pee. It's like really urgent too and then just a trickle...ugh! I guess I am getting ready for their arrival with waking up once an hour!

Best Moment of the Week: Seeing my two sweeties, hearing their heart beats and hearing that they look perfect!

Movement: Both are pretty quiet at night when I am sleeping...but they wake up as soon as I eat breakfast and move throughout the day. They get very very busy right after dinner. It seems like they are most busy right after I eat. Their kicks are getting harder and harder too....I love it!

Symptoms: Horrible swollen feet, ankles and even knees! Stuffed up nose (breathe rite strips do not work for me, for those of you who have suggested....they don't do a thing.) SNORING and strange breathing/sounds when I am asleep. Can't stand for long periods and tire out easily. Braxton Hicks contractions for the past month. Gestational Diabetes.

Food Cravings: Junk food...everything I can't have.....ice cream, subway, soda, chicken mcnuggets, muffins, etc.

Gender: Two gorgeous boys!

What I Miss: Eating what I want! Not getting out of breath just walking up the stairs! Sleeping through the night and sleeping on my stomach. Being able to pick things up that I drop.  Put my own shoes and socks on.  Being able to carry heavy things and just do things we all usually take for granted like being able to clip my own toenails and shave my "lady parts." Getting in and out of bed, off the couch and out of the car easily. 

What I'm Looking Forward to: Meeting my boys in 5-7 weeks!

Nursery: It is pretty much done...the paintings have been delivered and Matt plans to hang them up this weekend. We also assembled both swings and put them in our family room. So, the only things we have left are to assemble the bassinet, install car seats and have them checked and clean bottles (though hopefully breast feeding goes well and we won't need those for awhile!)  If all goes well with hanging up the art work, I'll post some pics this week! I really like the way it turned it out!

Weekly Wisdom: Sorry.....I got nothing this week....my brain is pretty mushy these days!

Milestones:  We are delivering our boys NEXT MONTH!!!

Emotions: Excited and anxious....want everything to go smooth from here on out!

4 comments:

Cherbear said...

you look amazing! I can't believe you will have 2 babies NEXT MONTH!! AHHH It's so special and awesome! Glad the nursery is done so you can relax. And PS. I had to read back a bit...and I just wanted to say "your poor feet!" I saw the pic. I hope you are keeping them up a lot! :)

Cori said...

So much going on!!!! I started the NSTs this week too. I feel like I live at the Dr.s office. I am all
Good with it as long as everytlything continues to go smoothly... Can't wait for these babies to make their debut!!!!

Lora said...

I can't believe they will be here so soon!! I'm so glad everything is going well!

Cin said...

Krista -

You're looking great! The pic in your feet in the previous post look like my feet did at the end of my pregnancy! I too swelled up like crazy! Can't wait to see pics of your boys when the arrive - you're on the downhill slide now! Take Care!

Cindi