I am definitely getting to the uncomfortable place in pregnancy. I totally get it now when I'd hear women say that they are ready to have the baby! Since I am measuring about 4 weeks ahead...I'm about as big as someone who was carrying one at 34 weeks...which is the homestretch when things start getting uncomfortable. I don't want to complain because I want to cook up these boys for as long as possible. But, putting on 50 pounds already at 30 weeks is really tough no matter how you look at it! The only things I can put on my feet are some fluffy slipper socks, some of Matt's socks and my clogs. I'm growing out of all of my maternity clothes and I really don't want to buy more...I may be living out of my velour sweatsuits for the next 6-8 weeks. I am having more difficulty getting comfortable at night...I find myself switching from one side to the next trying to find a comfortable position....Matt says I am making very strange sounds at night...I have no doubt about that!
The 3-hour GD test was about as awful as everyone says it is. I was starving that morning! Once they took two vials of blood and gave me the drink...the hunger got better but I got pretty nauseous! I really did not want to throw up because I was only planning to do this once! I managed to keep the nausea at bay with drinking a lot of water. But, sitting there for 3 hours is uncomfortable, boring, you don't feel good, you are hungry and just want it over with! I'm so thankful to have gotten through it! Though I did get through it...I did not get good news. My fasting glucose was fine, but all 3 of the other blood draws were elevated. So, I officially have gestational diabetes. Of course, I'm not happy about this, but I am trying my best to stay positive. The nurse I spoke to was confident that I will be able to control my blood sugar with diet, and I am confident in that too. She seems to think I carry the diabetes gene and the twin pregnancy set it off..interesting. Today I have an appointment with the dietician over the phone to help out with the diet...though I think most of it I probably know already...but it will still good to talk with her. Tomorrow I go in to learn how to test my blood sugar. I am assuming I will do this after each meal. The nurse said it is very easy and I will hardly feel a thing...I'm not worried about it and I'm actually glad to be doing it, because I want the reassurance that my blood sugar is within the normal limit each day, so I can make additional dietary changes if I need to. I'll also have to see my OB weekly from here on out. So it sounds like I'm going to start living at the office, between regular OB visits, visits with the perinatologist, the GD visits, the non-stress tests and any special appointments due to carrying twins....I'll be going to a lot of appointments! So, that's that!
How Far Along: 30 weeks
Size of Baby: 3 pounds each this week! The size of a squash or head of cabbage.
Picture of Baby: None this week...will have more after my next peri appointment next week.
Maternity Clothes: All and quickly growing out of what I have.
Weight Gain: Up 4 more pounds, total gain 50 pounds (starting weight 105, weighed 155 today.) Oy!
Belly:
Stretch Marks: None yet!
Sleep: Sleep has started to go downhill again....I am sleeping for a few hours at a time, but I am waking up often and having to switch sides. My biggest complaint it still my stuffed up nose. It gets completely stuffed up at night, so I end up sleeping with my mouth open, which dries out my mouth and throat, which makes me thirsty, which makes me drink water, which makes me have to pee a lot. I can't win! I use a lot saline spray, but even that only lasts for about an hour before I wake up again and am stuffy again. I know I am making strange noises too because I start making them even before I fall asleep and I can hear myself!
Best Moment of the Week: Feeling boys movements and seeing the nursery "almost" finished.
Movement: Both are pretty quiet at night when I am sleeping...but they wake up as soon as I eat breakfast and are very busy for awhile. Then I feel them on and off through the day. They get very busy again right after dinner. It seems like they are most busy right after I eat. Also, if I rest my hand or arm on my belly, one of them will kick it! Sometimes they push their entire body against my belly and that is always fun to see..a big bulge coming out of my belly!
Symptoms: Stuffed up nose. Swelling in hands and terrible swelling in my feet/ankles...I officially have "cankles" and can no longer squeeze my feet into my shoes or socks...I am wearing my clogs every day now (below is a lovely pic of my swollen feet.) SNORING and strange breathing when I am asleep. Can't stand for long periods and tire out easily. Braxton Hicks contractions for the past month. Gestational Diabetes.
Food Cravings: Junk food...everything I can't have!! Luckily still wanting apples and citrus a lot too, and celery and peanut butter is one of my new favorite snacks!
Gender: Two gorgeous boys!
What I Miss: Eating what I want! Not getting out of breath just walking up the stairs! Sleeping through the night and sleeping on my stomach. Being able to pick things up that I drop. Put my own shoes and socks on. Being able to carry heavy things and just do things we all usually take for granted like being able to clip my own toenails and shave my "lady parts." Getting in and out of bed, off the couch and out of the car easily.
What I'm Looking Forward to: Peri appointment next week! Meeting my boys in 6-8 weeks!
Nursery: Everything is done except for the canvas paintings which have been painted and were shipped this week. Once we have those up...we are done! This past weekend we put up the letters above the cribs, a picture on the wall, and unpacked the car seats and stroller and assembled the stroller. I should have pics soon!
Weekly Wisdom: When going #2 while pregnant...flush multiple times. I had no idea this would be an issue, but it is (an embarrassing one too!)
Milestones: 30 weeks!
Emotions: All over the place! Day to day, minute to minute, second to second. Mostly extremely blessed but I have my moments of other emotions I'd prefer not to mention here.



18 comments:
OMG! your ankles honey! Is that uncomfortable?? I'm suprised about that dormant diabetic gene thing. i was always told that gestational diabetes resolved itself after pregnancy and wasnt an issue you had to deal with unless you were pregnant again. I understand that weird "babies stay in/cant wait til babies come out feeling." lol very complicated.
OMG those feet!!!! Hoping the next few weeks go by quick and can't wait to see the nursery :)
My feet and ankles are out of control and Im only 23 weeks. Do yourself a HUGE favor and run out (or have your hubby run out) and get breath right strips for your nose! The Target store brand works wonders too and its cheaper. I was amazed at how well they work. Took away my snoring and stuffiness during the night!
*breathe right I meant
Wow girl, you should be proud of yourself for growing some healthy little boys in there! I can only imagine your discomfort at this point. Hang in there, you are in the home stretch.
Sorry about your GD. And those are some impressive ankles :)
xo
Happy New Year!
I think I could have taken the exact same picture of my feet! They are so swollen and uncomfortable. I had to buy shoes 2 1/2 sizes bigger than I usually do! Take care and happy new year!
Yikes... that's for sure some swelling! Sorry about the GD, I am sure that is not fun. Looking forward to pics!
Your poor feet. I hope it gets better!
They say the lack of sleep prepares you for the newborns, so I'm afraid your time of sleeping has long gone. Just a tip, accept that you have lost sleep and move on. You will NEVER get the sleep back. Benefit being that you are a brilliant party animal when the boys are older and you want a night out. I can go to bed at 3.30am and be up with our son at 6am without a whinge.
I had to giggle at your cankles....sorry! Your body is working overtime. Sorry but it's only going to get worse. Hope you are enjoying it, as it was the best feeling in the world to me.
Sorry about your cankles! That's the one thing I haven't developed on your list of discomforts.
Hang in there--we're in the home stretch! :-)
I am right there with you.
I've heard baths can really help with swelling. I'm too uncomfy in the tub, but I've started soaking my feet. It feels really good, though I'm not sure if it's actually making a difference.
Your poor ankles!!!! Hang in there!!!!
Sorry to hear about your GD. I had it too being over 35 y.o at the time as well as genetics. I controlled mine easily with diet (which is basically a healthy high protein low carb diet, lots of water and restrictions on juice and sweets) the finger pricking is easy, but change fingers often. Your belly is still too cute!
girl - you look great! but we gotta get those ankles under control. Mine started to ache in sympathy.
hang in. You're almost there.
So sorry to hear you have GD. I'm at the doctor's right now reading blogs during my 3 hr test (I failed the initial screen pretty spectacularly). That glucose drink is AWFUL and I feel terrible from all the sugar. Good to get this test out of the way, though...
Your belly looks great! Your ankles look so uncomfortable.
Looking forward to seeing nursery pics! :)
Sorry to say but your feet look like mine two days after I had given birth... a bit of advice, take several pairs of socks (and ones that you can cut) to the hospital. Keep those feet up as much as you can, bless your heart! Can't wait to see the nursery pics... getting so close now!
Boo on the GD...ouch on the cankles...but on the bright side YOUR ALMOST THERE. And everything you've endured will have been SO worth it when you hold those two gorgeous lil boys!!! So excited for you.
Hi - to answer your question on my blog...we are moving to the Denver Metro Area. I grew up there and cannot wait to get back (never thought I would be saying that, but having a baby puts things into a different perspective!) It would be great to meet up sometime after we get there :)
Post a Comment