Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 22, 2011

29 Weeks- GD Test (fail) and More on "Mode of Delivery"

First of all, thanks for all of the support on my last post. Whether my feelings are right or wrong, it's nice to know I have a safe place to come and share how I am feeling. I realize that if my blog wasn't private, I would not be able to be so open about my feelings on controversial topics, so I am thankful that it is private because I really needed to get that off my chest, and frankly....I feel a lot better that I could write a post about it. I feel like now, I can put it behind me and move forward. It's funny how just writing things out can help you work through how you are feeling. It was also nice to know that I am not alone in my feelings, so thank you for letting me know that you guys have dealt with a lot of the same feelings.

It's been an interesting week to say the least....started out great, ended up not so great. Last weekend Matt and I celebrated our 7 year wedding anniversary. Yes, we got married a week before Christmas! He took me out for a very nice dinner...the food was awesome and the restaurant was quiet and romantic! My friend (friend #1) had her baby girl on Sunday (via C-section) so I went to the hospital to see her on Monday. We sat and talked for a few hours while her husband was out running errands...it was really nice. The baby nursed the entire time I was there...I couldn't believe it! Last night, I went to dinner with three friends from my junior league group. It was really nice to see them (none were able to attend my shower.)  They all brought gifts for the boys which I cannot complain about! I love receiving gifts for them!

On Tuesday, I had my OB appointment. All went well. No protein in urine. Boys' heart rates were both in the 150's. My belly is still measuring about a month ahead. My cervix is still long and closed. I didn't get an ultrasound (boo!) but she could see baby A's head while doing the cervix check and he is still head down.

I had my gestational diabetes test on Tuesday and found out yesterday that unfortunately....I did not pass. They want your level below 139 and mine was at 153. I was pretty upset about finding out I'd have to do the 3 hour test. I mean, I am 7 1/2 months pregnant with twins...I am constantly hungry, I constantly eat....so going 15 hours without eating is not sitting well with me. So, I'll be at the lab on Saturday morning...bright and early to do the 3 hour test. I am seriously dreading it in every way....but the nurse told me it has to be done (I asked if there were any alternatives (like re-doing the 1-hour test) and that was a big fat nope!) So, I am really bummed out about that, and hoping I am able to pass this one. It is making me very anxious.

At my appointment, we talked about "mode of delivery" since I haven't talked to her about it yet (only to the perinatologist) and it seemed like she was leaning more towards a C-section. She basically said that if both boys' heads were not head down when I go into labor then we should do a C-section. She said if baby A is head down and is the bigger one (which he is head down and slightly bigger) then it is possible to do a vaginal delivery because baby B could just follow suit and go head down after baby A is born.  But that is no guarantee and it is possible that they'd have to do a C-section to get baby B out (not likely) or they'd have to do a breech extraction.... which sounds pretty awful. She said it also depends on the doctor who is there to deliver the boys. Some will not even attempt a vaginal delivery unless both heads are down because they don't do breech extractions if the baby B does not follow suit, so they automatically go to C-section to be on the safe side. This definitely gives me more to think about. I think if both boys are head down when I go into labor I'd like to do a vaginal delivery, both if only Baby A's head is down then I will probably opt for a C-section. I don't think I am brave enough to chance a breech extraction if baby B does not cooperate. I know the recovery is longer with C-section which doesn't make me excited, but I also don't want a complicated and difficult delivery.

How Far Along: 29 weeks 

Size of Baby: They are about 2.75 to 3 pounds each now and about the size of a squash.

Picture of Baby: None this week...will have more after my next peri appointment in two weeks.

Maternity Clothes: All! If I put on a t-shirt that isn't maternity...my belly hangs out the bottom! All of my medium sized maternity jeans are even getting tight now.  Luckily, friend #1 told me to look at Walmart online for a few cheap maternity clothes...I've been buying everything at Motherhood Maternity and didn't want to spend a bunch more $ on stuff, so was glad to hear that Walmart carried a few maternity clothes. I got a velour sweatsuit, 2 long sleeve t-shirts, a light coat and some pajamas from Walmart for $50!!!

Weight Gain:  Up three more pounds, total gain 46 pounds (starting weight 105, weighed 151 today.)

Belly:


Stretch Marks: None yet! Still using cocoa butter every day.

Sleep:  Sleep has been pretty good. I've only been getting up 2 or 3 times now to use the bathroom, blow my nose, drink some water, eat snack, etc. My nose seems to be getting slightly better which makes me VERY happy! I do tend to wake up around 4am each morning and have trouble getting comfortable (my belly gets sore,) but at least the sleep before then is good.

Best Moment of the Week: Hearing heart beats and feeling constant movement.

Movement: It seems like I feel one of them almost all the time! They are pretty quiet at night when I am sleeping...but they wake up as soon as I eat breakfast and are very busy for awhile. Then I feel them on and off through the day. They get very busy again right after dinner. It seems like they are most busy right after I eat. Matt put his hand on my tummy just in time to feel a HUGE kick from baby B early this week...he can't believe how hard they kick me! We enjoy just lifting up my shirt and watching the ripples rise and fall on my belly....he thinks it is "creepy" lol!

Symptoms: Stuffed up nose.  Swelling in hands (no more wedding ring,) and terrible swelling in my feet/ankles...I officially have "cankles" and can no longer squeeze my feet into my shoes (or some of socks)...I am wearing my clogs every day now...boring! SNORING and strange breathing when I am asleep. Getting a bit achy in my back, feet and knees. Can't stand for long periods and tire out easily. Heart burn is pretty regular now....I've even had a few episodes of stomach acid suddenly flying up my esophagus while I am in bed! Oh...and I've been meaning to mention...Braxton Hicks contractions for the past 3 weeks or so, usually when I have not been resting enough.

Food Cravings: French Fries (dang you Burger King for the commercials!) Ice cream, pie, citrus,

Gender: Two gorgeous boys!

What I Miss: Not getting out of breath just walking up the stairs! I miss drinking a coke here and there...sometimes I take a sip of Matt's coke...yum! Sleeping through the night and sleeping on my stomach. Being able to pick things up that I drop.  Put my own shoes and socks on.  Being able to carry heavy things and just do things we all usually take for granted like being able to clip my own toenails and shave my "lady parts." Getting in and out of bed, off the couch and out of the car easily. 

What I'm Looking Forward to: Peri appointment in two weeks. All of my classes in January. Meeting my boys in 7-9 weeks! My OB said they'd like to get me to 36 weeks which is only 7 weeks away!

Nursery: Matt put the book case up last weekend. We are just waiting on the art work to be delivered, once that is hung.... the nursery is done! I plan to order the monitor and diapers in January then we pretty much have everything we need!! Feels good to be done early!

Weekly Wisdom: One thing I wish I hadn't done (especially in the beginning of the pregnancy) is compare "my bump" to other bumps. I was pretty obsessive about this and never thought my bump was big enough....especially for having twins. However, I now realize it really doesn't matter how big or small your bump is. Mine still doesn't feel THAT big to be almost 30 weeks pregnant with twins and I get a couple of comments daily "you are so small for having twins in there." It still bothers me, but I remind myself and other people that my babies are measuring perfect (if not even a few days ahead) for how far along I am. Even some girls with big huge bumps can't say that. When I visited my friend in the hospital this week the nurse told me that she's seen the smallest babies come from huge bellies and the biggest babies come from tiny bellies. So, I guess what I am trying to say is....don't compare yourself to others. If everything is going well then everything is going well.....

Milestones: Almost to 30 weeks!

Emotions: Excited and sooooooo blessed. Nervous about GD test. Started to feel a bit nervous about delivery since it is so up and the air and will be until the last moment.

Merry Christmas to all of my fertility buddies!!!!

7 comments:

Jos said...

I definitely think you should take it as a blessing that your babes are measuring great and your belly isn't ridiculously, uncomfortably huge! It is hard not to compare though - I did the same thing, especially with 5 close bloggy friends all due the same week as me.

Bummer news about the uncertainty about delivery. NOT a judgement - just an observation, but it's interesting to me that the possibility of maybe having to deliver one baby breech is more scary to you than undergoing major abdominal surgery and the subsequent recovery.

My cousin is an OB, and she said the reason that some OBs won't do breech deliveries is simply b/c they weren't educated enough about how to do them - and that any OB who was taught how to do them doesn't find them any more dangerous to Mommy or baby than a normal delivery.

Also, "normal" is highly overrated - I somehow got Stella out while partly facing sideways when everything indicated that it should have gone to c-section. Have faith in your body (!!!) and in the meantime, I'll be praying that both babes go headdown for you anyway. :)

K. said...

I have heard/read (dont remember which) if you fail the one hour with a number under 200, then you usually pass the three hour test... and you really didn't fail by much, so I would be cautiously optimistic!!

laurieb145 said...

Happy Anniversary! Sorry about the GD test, hopefully you will pass the 3 hour one! Congrats on almost 30 weeks!

Kelli said...

Hey Krista... Happy anniversary to you and Matt. Hope things go better than expected with your test. I can't believe how far along you are! :o) Merry Christmas!

Lora said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Anniversary! We got married on December 29th- we loved the Christmastime wedding! Sorry about the GD test, hopefully the 3 hour will go better!

Anonymous said...

I just noticed your comment about my yellow on white background...I was kinda thinking the same thing so I changed it back to black(before even reading your post)...glad we're on the same page :) And Happy Anniversary...such a fun time of the year to get married...(mine anniversary was the 6th)!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the GD test. One of my besties had it 2nd pregnancy an it was managed by her diet. Her bub didn't end up any bigger, and she looked amazing during her preg as she was restricted with crap food. Then when her daughter was born she was way skinnier than what she's ever been. We deal with whatever comes at us, and you will be fine.

As for the comparisons in preg, ha get used to it, it continues throughout the life of your child. Even now my son is 4, you cannot escape the overbearing mother who screams when her son manager to swim a lap, the same as all the kids. You are right, it all depends on body shape, and if you have a long torso, then there is obviously more room in the for bub, as opposed to a short arse like me, and my son had no choice but to grow out front, so I was asked many a time if I was expecting twins. Considering the journey you had to get here, who gives a rats about size! It's perfect and that's that!!

I had to go back and re-read your last post. Interesting.. I added a comment. Your opinion can never be wrong, it's yours and this is a safe place to express it.