I have a few minutes here while Matt feeds one baby and the other one is asleep, so thought I'd put up a quick post.
I still can't believe that we have our two bundles of joy home with us....it is the most amazing feeling in the world! We got home yesterday afternoon and have been busy trying to settle in since, and in-between trying to get settled in...we've been trying to catch some zzzzzzzz's!! The boys eat every 3 hours on average (sometimes less,) so sleep hasn't been something Matt and I have been able to get a ton of! Matt has been so amazing with them (and me,) he's really stepped up to the plate to be the best daddy possible! I'm so proud of him and feel so blessed to be married to a man like him.
I do plan to write the story of their birth because as you can imagine it was VERY eventful...but I don't have enough time at this moment. I will say that it was a combination of the pre-eclampsia and going into labor that brought these boys into the world. It ended up being an emergency c-section.....but the coolest thing is that my OB was the one at the hospital that day so she was able to do the section.....something I am soooooo grateful for! While I would have been okay with the other OB's doing the section....she was who I wanted to do it. I trust her, I have a good relationship with her, I've heard her "work" is the best.....so I knew I was in the BEST hands possible! The section itself was a very positive experience. The real action was immediately before and after the section due to the pre-eclampsia and severe blood loss....so my recovery has been slow, but I am doing well today and that is what is important!
Landon and Andrew are doing amazingly well for being 35 week babies. We are sooooooooo blessed and thankful that they were able to avoid any NICU time. They are perfect in every way except they both have inguinal hernias that will probably need surgery. They have their first appointment with the pediatrician on Friday and then on Monday have consultations with a surgeon at the Children's Hospital. We are told the hernias are very common and the procedure is quick and they will be in and out that day. We aren't sure at this point when the surgeries will take place. They usually like to wait until the babies are 11-12 weeks old. The hernias are small, not noticeable and they are not causing the boys any pain. The surgeon will decide on Monday when the surgery will take place. If he feels it would be okay to do the surgeries early...we may do that. Matt and I would like to get it done as early as possible so we don't have to worry about it, but of course we want to wait until it is safe too.
Other than that......we've had very little worries or concerns with the boys. For being 35 weekers they've done so well with feeding. Suck, swallow and breathe has not been an issue at all. The other issue we've had is of course....with me! I have not gotten an ample supply of milk in yet. This is a real bummer because I really want to breast feed. At the hospital we purchased donor milk for the boys since we realize how important breast milk is those first few days. Now that we are home...we are just using formula. I am continuing to pump 4-6 times a day and though I am getting SOME milk in...it isn't enough to feed them with, so I am just doing it to continue to stimulate the breast. Everyone seems to think that it was the trauma of everything right after surgery that has delayed my milk coming in. I understand that it may not come in and even though that is a bummer...I'll have to accept it and realize that I did everything I could.
On the day I delivered the boys I weighed in at a whopping 171 pounds!!! That is a gain of 66 pounds! I got on the scale this morning and am already down to 140 pounds. Basically, I immediately lost 11 pounds of baby and 20 pounds of water weight! There were a few pictures taken of me at the possible, but they were the most awful pictures in the world...I looked nothing like myself...they were SO ugly! The pre-eclampsia did a real number on me for sure!
Well, I think that is all for now. Again, I hope to get to writing the birth story soon. I will leave you with a few pictures of my beautiful boys!

20 comments:
I could stare at them all day. If I didn't have my own son is have these two as a screen saver at work to give me hope. They are just PERFECT!! But I don't need to tell u that.
Good view to have about the b'feeding. My milk supply was poor too with B. It wasn't until he was 5wks old that it was picked up that he had a tongue tie which prevented him from sucking properly. Out of your hands, just keep doing what you can.
Rest up and recover. I know you like your sleep, so my biggest tip is that you write off sleep lost. You can't get it back, you just learn to adjust. Their feeds will spread to 4hrs soon enough.
Take care and big smoochy kisses for Landon and Andrew..xx
So glad that you all came home together! You've got some rock stars on your hands. :-)
Congratulations, Krista. They are beautiful!
They are gorgeous boys! Congrats!!!
EeekK!!! I'm so happy to hear that you're all doing so well!! Can't wait to read all about their birth story. :)
As far as milk goes, get fenugreek and drink lots of water. LOTS AND LOTS of water. Hydration is key to milk supply. Remember that their stomachs are TINY at this point (the size of a cherry tomato at birth I believe) so it really don't take all that much milk to fill them up in the beginning. I had milk issues that first week as well. Good luck!
Congrats again on your little boys!!
So glad you are all home and doing well! :) They are so BEAUTIFUL Krista :) xo
CONGRATS!! They are fabulous and so are you!!
Krista!!! They are amazing! I'm happy you are all home and starting to adjust.I can't believe you actually got to go into labor!! That is something I've never done (I was induced) so I can't wait to read the story!!
They are beautiful! I am glad you are home and feeling better!
They are so beautiful!!! Congrats again!
They are SO SO SO beautiful!!! They look amazing and so healthy!
Soooo cute!!!! They are so long!
Congrats on such healthy babies for 35 weeks, that is amazing!
Good luck with the surgeon
So amazingly happy for your "happy ending" - especially avoiding the whole NICU thing. Thanks for sharing pictures. The smile on your husband's face says it all.
They are amazing!!! Daddy looks so happy!
Congratulations! Your boys are very cute. So glad they avoided the NICU.
Hope you are enjoying them and getting some rest. :-)
They are so sweet!!! Glad you are all home safe and sound :)
You know that I'm over the moon for you, right?! It gives me hope. I you can do it, I can do it.
But just so you know, you're not my evil twin anymore. The picture made it official.. :)
Krista they are just precious!!! I hope the adjustment home is going wonderful and that you are getting enough sleep...at least enough to get by!!!
Wow... congratulations :)) I've come back from my blogging break to so many wonderful birth stories :) Your twins are adorable... they look like such a gorgeous pair :)) Congrats again xoxo
I'm just reading about your sweet boys being here, safe and healthy! Congrats and what a Blessing! How sweet they look! It sounds like y'all are settling in and doing a fantastic job as a team. Glad you are okay!!! Looks like dad has some future mountain bikers:] Enjoy!
Krista -
Oh, how sweet are your boys? They are too precious and just beautiful! I'm glad you are home now! I had an unexpected c-section too and recovery was tough for me as well, make sure you take time to relax as much as you can! Take care and keep those pics of the boys coming!!!
Cindi
Post a Comment