Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Almost Two Weeks Old!

Wow....I can't believe it's almost been two weeks since my twins were born! It's been the most wonderful two weeks of my life...for sure! I am still working on their birth story...it is quite complicated so I want to make sure and get in as many details as I can remember, so it is taking me some time. In the meantime, I thought I'd put up a quick post on our first week at home with the boys.

Everything is going very well! Yes....Matt and I are quite sleep deprived, but actually...not that bad! The boys eat every 3-4 hours and most nights we can get in a good 6-7 hours. The hours are broken up into a few increments. We feed them right before bed (usually around 10pm,) they wake up around midnight or 1am, we feed them again, then again around 3 or 4am, and then we all sleep until 8am. It's not always that perfect....sometimes one of them will wake up more frequently, but we've tried our hardest to keep them on the same schedule. We are looking forward to them eating a little less frequently so we only have to get up once in the middle of the night...but this is okay for now and we've been sleeping with them in the afternoon for a few hours when we can. We've got a good little routine down, where Matt is in charge of making all bottles. So, when they wake up...Matt goes to make the bottles and I change them both. By the time they are both changed, the bottles are ready and Matt and I each take one of the boys to feed. Since they are both still tiny...feeding isn't always perfect....most of the time they eat very slowly and have to be kept awake during the feeding because they most always fall back asleep when we are feeding them. We figured out very early on that it is best to keep them awake during feedings and get in as much as possible, otherwise...they wake up very soon after and want more. So, if we don't keep them awake during feedings we are constantly feeding them.

They are definitely the light of our lives....such absolute joys! They have their own adorable personalities.....Landon  (who was actually my trouble maker in the womb) seems to be a bit more relaxed. If he is not eating...he just loves to sleep! Andrew is easy too....but likes to stay awake more. He doesn't always immediately fall asleep after a meal (like Landon does,) and likes to either hang out in his swing watching the mobile, or hanging out in one of our arms watching us.

They continue to put on a few ounces, so we are all pleased about that. We had our first pediatrician appointment last Thursday (when they were one week old,) and they both put on a few ounces. We have our two week appointment this Thursday, and we are hoping they've put on a few more. We also had their appointment at the Children's Hospital yesterday regarding their hernias. It is still up in the air as to whether Andrew has one or not, so the surgeon would like to wait and see on him. So, no surgery on Andrew as of now. Landon, however will be having surgery on his hernia on the 29th. The surgeon said it would be best (and safe) to do his surgery in the next few weeks. So, the whole family will be staying the night at Children's Hospital so we can all be with Landon, since he will have to stay the night. We met with the anesthesiologist too because Mommy had lots and lots of questions on the safety of anesthesia on such a little guy.  I'm worried and scared, but I also know that the surgery is necessary and best to do sooner rather than later so that the hernia doesn't get worse and put Landon's life in danger.  He will also have his circumcision done at that time. Andrew is scheduled to have his circumcision with a urologist at Children's hospital in March.

Other then that....things have been going really well. We are finally starting to have visitors, which has been nice.....I didn't want them in the hospital (you'll see why once you read their birth story,) or their first week at home because I wanted the downtime with my family and to settle into a routine. On Saturday we are having their newborn photos taken...which I am really excited about. I kinda wish I would have done it when they were just a week old, but it didn't work out that way....and that's okay, two weeks old is still a good time.

Mommy is doing well too! I can't believe how fast the weight came off. I weighed 171 pounds the morning I delivered them. Once I got home I weighed right around 140, today I am weighing between 130 and 135....it's totally crazy to me! I don't plan to get back down to my pre-pregnancy weight (105,) my goal is 115. I think that will be pretty easy once I am healed from the c-section and can get out and walk with the boys. After a difficult pregnancy of morning sickness, then bed rest, now recovery from surgery...I feel totally out of shape and can't wait to get back into shape again. At both appointments that we've gone to, all of the nurses can't believe that I gave birth to twins just this month. Everyone comments that they can't believe these two little guys came from me, I'm like "I assure you....I carried these two boys for 35 weeks....and I was the size of our house the day I delivered!" HA!! I never did get any stretch marks which I am thankful about. My linea nigra got very dark though as did my belly button, so I am definitely looking forward to that lightening up. C-section recovery since coming home hasn't been too had....the hardest part is getting in and out of bed and since I am constantly doing it to feed the boys....that has been difficult. Each day seems to get easier and easier though.

I never did get my milk in. I took the fenugreek religiously, pumped 4-6 times a day, drank tons of water, etc. The lactation consultant told me to give it a solid 10 days....which I did. She pretty much told me if after the 10 days I still haven't gotten my milk it...it probably wasn't going to happen. So, after the 10 days, I stopped pumping. It was very time consuming and wasn't doing a dang thing. I was getting a few drips out here and there...but my milk never actually came in....I knew the pumping wasn't going to help...if the milk didn't come in, it didn't come in. If it did...the pumping would have helped bring more, but it didn't...so the pumping was becoming pointless.  I am completely bummed that I wasn't able to breast feed my boys, but what am I going to do? Beat myself up? That won't do any good. I can only do what I can do.

Well, I think that is all for now. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me much after I get their birth story up. Matt is headed back to work next week so taking care of the boys will be completely on me. It's been nice to have the help feeding them, but without the help, it is going to take me double the time....so less sleep and less time to do other things. I hope to get back to blogging once they are a bit bigger and eating more at each feeding.

Happy Valentines Day too!!!!

Here are a few pics from our first week at home:

 Landon
 Andrew
 Dad feeding Landon
 Dad Feeding Andrew
 All Bundled up in our bassinet
 Baby Drew
 Heading out for the first time!!
 Drew...ready to go!
 Landon...snoozing
 Brotherly Love
 Hi Mama! (Landon)
 Boys in their monkey sleepers
Sweet Landon
 Me with my sweet bubbas

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Adorable!!!!! :) Can't believe its been two weeks already! Keep up the good work Mama! :)

RMCarter said...

What cutie pies!! I just want to snuggle them both!

Anonymous said...

They look so little! Take care and cherish every moment. The boys are lucky to have each other. Good on you about your view on b'feeding. It really is a minor issue in the bigger picture.

Jem said...

Awwww, what cuties!

RE: breastfeeding... you gave it the ole college try. Nuf said.

Best of luck flying solo with the boys. Do keep us updated on the surgery next week.

Anonymous said...

You look so good with those 2 precious babes in your arms!!! Praying that Landon's surgery goes smoothly.

Cori said...

You guys are rockstars! I can only imagine having 2 to feed and change every few hours!!!! Chris and I Are working together to make it happen with just 1 :) but oh my gosh the joy they are bringing to our lives is priceless!!! They are gorgeous Mama!

ousoonerchick said...

They are so cute!!!! It feels like just yesterday I was reading about your struggle to get pregnant and now I'm looking at you holding two babies, it's amazing!

Stacie said...

So glad things are going so well! Yay! The boys are gorgeous, and you're looking great, too. Well done, momma! :-)

Heather said...

Glad things are going well! They are so adorable. Prayers that Landon's surgery goes well and for you as DH goes back to work.

Bird said...

you guys are really rocking and rolling!!!!!way to go krista!!

DandelionBreeze said...

Your little men are adorable :)) xoxo

Baby Hopes said...

They are so sweet!!! I'm glad you're settling into a routine at home and aren't feeling too sleep deprived! Hope their upcoming surgery(ies) and circs go well!!!

kkasun said...

They are so sweet!!!!
Congrats on the smooth sailing so far!
I can't wait to hear the birth story!!!