Hey Bloggie Friends- Just wanted to let you all know that I am planning to take a hiatus from blogging at this point. I've taken some time (on and off over the past 2 weeks) to write Landon and Andrew's birth story, which is below. Matt is going back to work next week so taking care of the boys will be almost completely my responsibility. We also have Landon's surgery coming up, some other appointments, as well as a lot of visitors coming over, so I think blogging is going to be nearly impossible for awhile. Please know that I am always thinking of each and every one of one and praying for you and your journey...wherever you may be. I will try my best to keep up on reading your blogs...but might not comment too much. I hope to come back to writing in my blog in the future...either this blog or exclusively my family blog (I haven't decided yet.)
The boys are doing well. Our two week appointment with the pediatrician went well....they both continue to put weight on and their health overall is excellent! I am doing well too...I had a follow-up with the OB on Thursday and my blood pressure is back down to the normal range, and I've lost 40 pounds already (I put on a total of 66!)
Birth Story
I woke up on Thursday, February 2nd not feeling that great. I felt nauseous and overall just a "yucky" feeling. I just chalked it up to the fact that I was nearing the end of the pregnancy. I had another NST appointment that morning, so I got ready for the appointment and left the house. On the way there I started having weird pains in my rib cage....I didn't know what the pain was from but thought maybe it was just the babies pressing up against my ribs. I was still having contractions and it seemed with each contraction the pain would worsen. The pain got so bad that I thought I was going to have to pull over on the way to the appointment. I made it there and had to sit in the waiting room for about 25 minutes to be called back. As I sat in the waiting room I could feel my contractions starting to get closer together, and with each of them the pain in my ribs would worsen. I kept trying to sit in different positions to help ease the pain....but I was just plain uncomfortable!
I finally got called back to my appointment and I told the nurse that I really wasn't feeling well. I told her that I was feeling very nauseous and that I was having a lot of pain in my ribcage and having frequent contractions which was making the pain worse. She started me up on the monitor and the boys were still doing great. However, my contractions were closer together than they usually were. They were usually about 8-9 minutes apart, and they were now about 5-6 minutes apart. She took my blood pressure after being hooked up the monitors for awhile and it was really really high (170/126!).....much worse than normal. She took me off of the monitors and got me into a room to see one of the OBs.
When the OB came in I told her that I was really feeling sick. She said that more than likely I had moved from "mild" pre-eclampsia to full pre-elampsia....due to the fact that my blood pressure was so high, I was feeling sick and the pain in my rib area. She checked my cervix and said "and also you are in labor." My contractions were very close together and my cervix was dilated to a 5 (it had been at a 3 for nearly a month.) It was go time. She called the hospital to let them know I was on my way and I called Matt at home to let him know I'd be home soon and to have everything ready. On the way home...the pain got very bad. With each contraction my ribs were killing me....I didn't know if I was going to make it...it took all my strength to just keep driving. But, luckily the drive is only about 10 minutes. I arrived home and Matt packed everything into the car (including the dog,) and we were on our way. Luckily, the dog kennel is on the way to the hospital and he had called ahead of time to let them know we were on our way. He rushed the dog into kennel and off to the hospital we went! The ride there was tough...I was breathing hard through each contraction, I was in a lot of pain but I was trying not to scare Matt. He was getting frustrated at having to stop at each red light, so I kept telling him that even though I was in a lot of pain, the boys were not arriving anytime soon.
Once we arrived at the hospital, we were taken back to a room, I was hooked up to the monitors, the blood pressure cuff and blood was taken. I was soooooooooooo happy to find out that MY OB was at the hospital that day and would be delivering the boys. She came into the room to chat and find out how we wanted to deliver the boys. I was still on the fence because part of me still wanted to experience a vaginal birth, but at the same time...we were only at 35 weeks and a vaginal delivery was still risky for the boys since it could put them in a lot of stress. We decided then that we would go ahead with the c-section since it would be the safest thing for the boys and I.
My OB told me that the anesthesiologist likes to wait 6-8 from the last time you ate to do the c-section. I had eaten breakfast at 7am that morning but had a little bit of trail mix at 9am while I was waiting for my NST appointment...so we were looking at 3pm at the earliest to do the c-section. We arrived at the hospital right around noon and over the span of the hour my pain was definitely intensifying. At one point I even remember telling Matt that I was about ready to jump out the window! Multiple nurses came in trying to get my IV in, but my blood pressure had gotten so high that they couldn't get the IV in. I was told that when blood pressure gets high the vessels constrict and are no longer visible over the skin. The multiple nurses tried numerous times to get the IV in...in multiple spots up and down my arms and hands. I was getting really frustrated because I was in a lot of pain and being poked and prodded was the last thing I wanted. Finally...the anesthesiologist came in and was able to get the IV in the crook of my elbow (the last resort spot.)
Unbeknownst to me...over that time my situation had turned into an emergency (due to my blood pressure) and within the span of an hour.... it was time to deliver. I didn't have a choice anymore...it was going to be a c-section no matter what. Before I knew it....I was wheeled back to the OR.
The section itself was a very positive experience. I trusted everyone there...two docs, multiple nurse, the NICU team, the anesthesiologist, Matt, etc. The epidural was a cinch...I hardly felt a thing and instantly...the pain was gone and I felt SO much better! I did get a bit nauseous right after the epidural took effect....but did not vomit and the feeling passed pretty quickly. Before I knew it Matt was able to come into the room and someone told me that the procedure had already begun. Its such a strange feeling to feel pushing, pulling and tugging, but absolutely no pain at all. Before I knew it....Landon was pulled out of me and I heard a huge cry! Oh my gosh...I've never heard such a beautiful sound before...I was overcome with such emotion.....I instantly started bawling and was told he was "perfect." Immediately after... Andrew was pulled out and I heard that beautiful sound yet again. Within a minute or two I was told Andrew was perfect too. At one point Matt did tell me that Landon had a slight hernia but not to worry because it was small and not a big deal. The boys were wrapped up and brought to me so I could look at them. The nurses who brought them to me were so patient and held them to my face for a very long time so I could just look at them. I was having trouble seeing because I was crying so hard and my makeup was all in my eyes (take note: do not put makeup on the morning you are going to deliver...had I known!)
After about 5 minutes the boys and Matt went into a different room to be assessed while they finished my surgery. It was so extremely strange to lay on the table and know my abdomen was wide open and being stitched up. My OB and the other doc assisting her chatted it up while finishing the procedure...just like another day at the office! Finally....after what seemed like forever...I was taken into the recovery room where the boys were with the pediatricians, nurses and NICU team. They were brought to me so we could try and nurse. Andrew latched on pretty quickly. We stayed in there for awhile taking pictures and getting everyone stabilized.
At about 3pm were were all taken back to the original labor and delivery room where we would all have to stay overnight. I was told I would have to be hooked up to a magnesium drip for 24 hours to prevent seizures. Apparently my blood pressure had gotten so high that there was a worry I'd have a seizure, so the magnesium was to help get my pressure back down and prevent that from happening. I was told the magnesium would help lower my chances of having a seizure by 50%.
The next 24 hours are VERY hard for me to remember. I remember bits and pieces, I remember the big picture, but I don't remember many details or the order of things, so bear with me. The babies were assigned their own personal nurse and I was assigned my own personal nurse. They were both given sponge baths in the room and wrapped up and brought to me...I only know this because I have pictures, I don't really remember.
As the evening wore on....the magnesium making me very groggy, headachy, extremely hot and just plain "not with the program." On top of that...they were having a very difficult time slowing my bleeding down and I was hemorrhaging pretty badly. The poor nurse had to shove 5 pills up my arse that were supposed to help my uterus contract in an effort to slow the bleeding....I didn't feel it since my epidural was still in full effect. The evening turned into night and I was still bleeding badly. I don't remember feeling a lot of fear.....I probably should have, but I think I was so "out of it," that I didn't know I should even be feeling fear. I got a new nurse at 7pm and she got me through the night...she was sooo awesome (as was the first one I had who came in specially to take care of me that day.) I was laying on those pads (I think they are called "chuks") and my nurse came in frequently to change them and each time she would have to weigh them to see how much blood I'd lost. She had such a good attitude about it and was trying her best not to scare Matt and I...so she kept the situation light by trying to guess how much each one would weigh. It sounds weird, but it actually kept Matt and I laughing to see how close she could get. The OBs were in and out through the night...at one point my OB came in to do an ultrasound on my uterus to see if she could figure out where all of the blood was coming from...she didn't find anything abnormal.
As the night went on....I was pretty uncomfortable because I itched all over and I was sooooooooooooo thirsty!!! I wasn't able to have any water except for a few ice chips here and there....which at the time I was so angry about! The OB that was there that night (poor guy) was trying to explain to me (without scaring me) why I couldn't have anything to drink. I was so mad at him and kept asking over and over WHY I can't have water. He was so sweet to me...I can't remember exactly what he said because it didn't make much sense to me. But I found out later that they didn't know if I'd need additional surgery for the bleeding, so I couldn't have anything in my tummy. More blood was taken through the night to see where my blood levels were and a blood transfusion was being discussed if it didn't slow down. They gave me a benedryl to help with my itching...but that didn't do a dang thing! I was itching like a crazy lady, so they gave me something else (can't remember the name,) which finally helped with the itching but knocked me out COLD! I was finally able to sleep at some point in the early morning hours, which helped the thirsty situation immensely.
Matt and the boys' nurse continually fed the babies through the night. Since I did not have any milk and could not have breast fed even if I had...we opted to purchase donor milk for them. Because the magnesium made me SOSOSOSOSO hot....they had to keep the room very cold, so both of the boys were wrapped up tightly to keep them nice and warm. Their temps were taken frequently through the night, and Andrew's got a little low, so he was wrapped up in the cutest "bunting" I've ever seen! They did great that first night and I was so bummed that I couldn't spend time with them, but at the same time...I was so dang sick that I was just glad they were being cared for.
By the wee hours of the morning, I was starting to feel a bit better as far as the grogginess and itching goes, but was still soooo thirsty! Matt and my nurse felt really bad for me, so my nurse brought me a popsicle, and Matt started bringing me small cups of ice chips. I would demolish each small cup and he'd go fill it up again. That was all they'd give us...just these tiny cups, so he had to fill it up A LOT! I don't think (in fact, I know) that he did not get one wink of sleep that night.
As the morning wore on, my blood loss continued. They came to take more blood and a transfusion was discussed again. Since I was a little more aware at this point...I did start to get more scared that I had been before. Fortunately, the results came back and levels were about the same...not worse, so a transfusion was taken off the table. I was able to eat a little bit.....a vitamin drink and some jello along with my ice chips. The day wore on and I started to feel a bit better and it seemed the blood loss was finally slowing down. They stopped having to change the pads underneath me as much. I started feeling trapped in bed....I was hooked up the IV, to the blood pressure cuff, the catheter, and my legs were each wrapped in those special things that squeeze the legs and help prevent blood clots.
At about 2pm that day, the OB that was there came in and told me that they could take me off of the magnesium drip....I was soooo thankful for that! My nurse came in and shut off the magnesium drip and asked me if I wanted to try and sit up....I did...I hadn't been able to sit up for well over 24 hours! So, we tried...but failed! As soon as I sat up and got me legs over the side of the bed (which took every ounce of my will) I immediately got light-headed and faint. The nurse quickly laid me back down in bed.
Later that afternoon since I was stable, we were transferred to the Mom/Baby floor. I was kinda bummed to find out that the boys' nurse was now my nurse too (I liked her, but I also liked it that we all had our own personal nurses before.) I was able to eat real food that night and my nurse asked me if I was ready to try and sit up in bed again...I was. This time....though it was just as difficult I was able to sit up. I even stood up for a minute or two before I got dizzy again and had to lay back down again. Things were getting easier...but I was still really struggling. The boys continued to do well....I was starting to really struggle with the fact that I couldn't really help out with the babies. I wasn't able to change them because I couldn't yet stand up, and even feeding them was nearly impossible because of the placement of the IV in the crook of my arm. I was told I couldn't get the IV out of my arm until they were sure my blood loss had stabilized and I was able to walk to the bathroom.
The next day things were getting better. My blood loss was getting better. I was told if I could walk to the bathroom and I was ready then my IV and catheter could come out. I was so ready for that! The nurse helped me walk to the bathroom...I made it, but unfortunately I started shaking uncontrollably and got very very dizzy and lightheaded. It took all I had not to pass out in the bathroom...the nurse quickly got me back to bed. She told me I still wasn't ready to have the IV and catheter taken out. Dang! The day wore on and the shifts changed. That night the nurse asked if I wanted to try walking to the bathroom again...I was determined! Though...it was hard and I got very lightheaded again....I did okay and she said if I was ready we could take my catheter and IV out. Yay! So out they went! I felt so much better after that....very very free!!! The boys were born on Thursday afternoon and my IV and catheter were not taken out until Saturday night! I was pretty much over it by that point! Matt helped me take a shower that night...I felt sooooo disgusting! The shower was pretty interesting because I couldn't move that much and I still felt ill, so Matt pretty much had to wash my body...I was able to slap a bit of shampoo and conditioner in my hair but that was really all I could do. Not to give TMI here....but I was SHOCKED to see what was coming out of my lady parts! I'm so thankful that Matt does not grossed out easily, because I sure was! My nurse told me that for the first few days after birth the uterus sheds off in large chunks....nasty!
That evening I was told by the nurse that it was in my best interest to get out of bed and have Matt walk me out of my room and around the Mom/Baby floor. This scared me because I could barely make it to the bathroom....but they told me the sooner I can get up and walk...the better I'll feel and the faster my recovery will be. So, that night...the nurse came in to watch the boys while Matt walked me around...it was slow but I did it!! I was able to do that twice that night and it is true....I started feeling better and definitely stronger!
We stayed 3 more nights in the hospital. It was such a busy time for us! Between all the fuss over me (my blood pressure and constantly checking my incision,) and all the fuss over the boys (lots of visits from pediatricians,) the regular blood pressure checks, the lactation consultants, the nurses, my meds, room service, housekeeping, the feedings, the OBs, etc.etc etc......we were not alone in our room for less than a half an hour at a time. I continued to use the hospital pump every 4 hours in an effort to stimulate milk production and was really bummed with each passing day that my milk didn't come in. We thought we were going to get to go home on Monday since the boys were cleared to go home.....but my blood pressure spiked really high so we all had to stay another night.
Finally...on Tuesday the OB said we could go home! They had upped my blood pressure meds to SIX times more than I usually take! My blood pressure finally stabilized....woo hooo!!
We got the boys home around 3:00 on Tuesday...and that is where the rest of our life begun.....the best part of it.....

9 comments:
Wow, what a crazy experience!! I'm so glad that you and the boys are home safe and sound now.
I'm terrified. But so glad you are over all that scariness and home with your loves!
I'm so glad you are all home safe and sound!!!!
Glad to hear the boys birth was quiet textbook, but sorry to read about your experience. It really knocked you around. It sounds as though you were in great hands. I think I have wiped out of my brain alot of gross crap that happens after birth.. No such thing as dignity in a labour ward.
Sad to see you go too. I hope when you come back one day, I wont be still whinging about SIF. I hoope that I will have news for you..xx
Wow Krista, that sounds really intense. I am so glad that you are okay and that the boys are healthy. Good thing for a drug induced oblivion! I will miss your updates but hope to hear from you soon!
Wow!!! That was pretty intense girlie!!! I'm so
Glad you are all home and ok! I remember being so annoyed when they would come in every 30
Minutes for one thing or another... I wanted to tell them to all
Come in at once to get it all over with and then we would have a few hour break:)
That is quite a story. I'm really glad that your ok!! I can't wait for more stories and news in the days to come. Good luck as Matt goes back to work and enjoy every SEC!! Love you!!
oh my!! i am so glad you are ok!! and that the boys are perfect. you did it!
Thanks for sharing your birth story. Sorry for all the drama but so glad your boys are perfect and you are doing well!
Post a Comment