We had a bit of a scare last night, but everything seems to have calmed down now.
Matt and I were sitting around watching TV in my room and my nurse came in to hook me up to monitor the babies and my contractions. This has become sort of repetitive and pretty uneventful at this point since they do it 3 times a day for about an hour....so I didn't think much of it. I love listening to the boys' heart rates.....so it is definitely a high part of my day.
We were on the monitors for about 20 minutes and I felt two pretty large contractions. They weren't painful, but I could see on the monitor that they were pretty big. The boys' heart rates were perfect and continued to be so I didn't worry too much. After about 40 minutes the nurse came back and asked me if I was having pain with my contractions....I said no.....I can feel them but I'm not in pain. She said she had talked to the OB while watching the monitors from outside my room and she was concerned. Uh oh! They left me on for another 20 minutes or so when the nurse came back in and said the OB is coming right away to check what is going on and that I needed to have an IV put in immediately...apparently my contractions were consistently 8 minutes apart. I got very scared at that point and thought I was going to start crying, but I held it together...thank goodness Matt was here with me!
The OB was in my room within minutes and said she needed to check my cervix to see if it was dilating and labor was progressing. Again...I think they really thought I'd be having these boys that night! But, she checked my cervix and much to everyone's surprise...I had not progressed past 3.5 centimeters (same as day before.) I was soooooooo relieved to hear that!
It was a very stressful and anxiety-ridden 30 minutes, but I was so thankful to hear my cervix is still hanging in there. No one can seem to explain to me why I am having so many contractions (even regular ones,) but I am actually not in labor. They just keep telling me that this could be the pattern for a few more weeks until real labor starts.
During our monitoring session this morning, I had maybe one or two small contractions in the hour I was hooked up to the monitors....so different from last night. The boys were wide awake and continued to kick the little probes and move around the entire hour so we were having a hard time keeping them on the monitor, but they continue to do awesome and are so busy in there....they crack me up (and the nurses too!,) it's like constantly chasing them around my belly!
So, we continue to hang out and wait for the perinatologist on Monday to see what we are going to do. I'm actually not minding it here too much. The worst part is missing Matt and not being able to sleep in our bed with him. He's started working from home full time now so that he can be home with our dog during the day, then leaves home around 4 or 4:30 and spends the evening with me until about 9pm. We talk on the phone a lot during the day, so that's nice. Today he is grocery shopping, doing laundry, dishes, etc and then will come later to spend the evening with me. It's probably good he isn't here during the day because they keep me so busy! I am on the monitors a lot during the day, the nurses and OB's are constantly in and out. I'm trying to get a bit of sleep during the day, since I am still being awoken a few times a night for vital signs and meds. The food here is dang good too! They have a full menu that you can order off of anytime! I am eating so well....lots of fresh fruits, salads, fresh sandwiches, pastas, pizza, burgers, All-American dishes, Asian and Mexican dishes, big breakfasts, etc. Yum! Matt likes it so much that he's been eating the hospital dinners with me in my room!
That's all to report now.....I think it is nap time for this mama! Thanks for all of the nice comments and continued prayers and support....

9 comments:
I have been soooooo worried! I'm glad you are hanging I there. Wish I lived in Colorado so I could come and help keep you preoccupied. hang in there a little longer- it's going to be SO great and totally worth it.
take it from me- don't try and be a hero. If they think even a little bit that you should stay- do it! My biggest regret is that I wanted to go home so I campaigned and then we had our horrible loss.
I have every confidence that you are much smarter than me so hang tough and take care of yourself and those beautiful boys. I couldn't be more thrilled and excited for you.
Oh boy, glad things have settled down and you are comfortable there. Hang in there!!
From30 weeks on I had clustes of contractions. They didn't hurt but they were 5 minutes apart for hours ata time.
I am glad they got you stopped and good luck hanging outand hopefully the stay put for awhile!!!
Good thing they wanted to keep you over the weekend. Very scary stuff. I hope they can hang on a little longer for you!
Wow girl, you are super strong! No tears, how do you do it? I am proud of you! I am glad your cervix is holding strong and that those active little boys are staying put to cook a little while longer.
Thinking of you and the boys!
Ok. So somehow I missed your post about being in labor and delivery!!!! I am glad all is going well and you feel pretty comfortable there! I actually had my first visit to L and D yesterday... It was so scary and unexpected (iwas sent after my NST) I was just not ready for this little guy to make his appearance ( you know the feeling). It turns out all seems to be well. I am still freaked out about it though! I am praying we both get to meet our boys soon but not too soon:)
My sons kindy teacher had contractions constantly from 32wks and took drugs to prevent actual labour progressing. Her bub was born at 38wks. At least you are not in pain though, and are being looked after 5 Star!! I think all you are experiencing is just the norm for multiples. It's rare they make it to full term inside. All is healthy and that is the ultimate outcome. Thinking of you..xx
Wow! Did that bring my own experience crashing back to me! I haven't checked your blog for a bit-so it was a shock! First of all, 32 weeks is pretty good for multiples-it'd be great if they can keep 'em cooking a bit longer-but they would likely do well if they have to come out now. Of course, there will be time in the NICU-but after what you've had to do to get here, that is nothing. Try to be patient and don't rush going home. You are in the best place for the boys right now. Even if you think you'd be more comfortable at home-the care is better where you are. So please, try to keep your chin up and settle in for the next few weeks until those boys are further along. Every hour and day helps them have to struggle a little less once they're here. I know it will be hard-but at least the food is great. I'll be praying hard for you and the boys!!!!
Post a Comment