Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 4, 2011

9 Week Ultrasound

I would like to thank many of you for the emails over the past week....I really appreciate that so many of you care enough about me to send me an email to check and see how I am doing...it means a lot to me! I'm sure many of you thought that I had abandoned my blog...but I assure you...I have not! I figured out pretty quickly that there wasn't much to blog about when you finally get pregnant and you are in-between ultrasounds. Unless you all want to hear about nausea, vomiting and anxiety! But, I am 100% sure that those things do not make a very good blog post! So, I chose to keep quiet until I actually had something to blog about! I'll try to get more regular with my posts as we go along with the pregnancy and I'm not vomiting as much! In the meantime, I promise to post if anything significant happens.

Well, we had our 9 week ultrasound this morning. What a mixed bag of emotions that ended up being! I was sooooo nervous! Matt couldn't go to the appointment with me because he had meetings, so I had to go alone! When the tech first started the ultrasound she checked cervix and ovaries...then started on the babies. Baby A was first....she told me after a few minutes that baby A had no heart beat and had stopped growing at 7 weeks 3 days. I was instantly worried that this would be the case with all 3 babies. But, she then measured Baby B and said "it was beautiful." Measuring at 9 weeks 1 day and heart beat in the 180's. Thank God! She then measured Baby C...he/she measured exactly 9 weeks and heart beat in the high 160's (sorry, I can't remember exactly.) I was SO relieved!!! But, definitely having a lot of mixed emotions....I can't pinpoint exactly how I was feeling because there was just so much to process all at once. I got dressed and went into the next room to meet with the nurse.

The nurse and I talked for awhile and it was really good...I swear, these nurses are like counselors. She assured me that I didn't do anything to cause Baby A to stop growing...she just said that in the first trimester it is caused from genetic or chromosomal abnormalities. She said my twins looked really good and just because I lost one does not mean that there is a higher chance I will lose more. She really eased my mind.  But it's really hard to lose a baby and not know the cause...did I do something wrong? Of course, I know logically that I didn't...but that doesn't mean that I don't wonder. I know this is for the best because carrying 3 was just not going to be feasible for me....and I did NOT want to have to make the decision, so I am glad it was made for me, but it still sucks! I am trying to rest in the fact that the other 2 are beautiful and perfect and measuring right where they should be. I am thankful that I can start telling people (the few people we've told that we are pregnant,) that I have TWINS...and not "well we have triplets, but I don't know what is going to happen." Perhaps, I can start bonding with my twins now, and not wondering if/when I'll have to make the decision to reduce one of my babies. It's a lot to take in right now and I'm trying not to process too much at once right now...but as I need to and feel like I can.

I don't know what will happen with Baby A. I did have a little bit of bleeding last Friday which the nurse told me could have been the loss of the baby, but she did tell me that I could have more bleeding, or maybe I won't and my body will just absorb what is left. I'm nervous to see what will happen, but will do my very best to just roll with the punches. Right now, my main concern is keeping the 2 babies healthy and growing strong....which means getting as many calories in me as possible. I have not lost any weight, but I also haven't put any on since my last appointment, so I know I need to work on putting weight on. I am already sporting a little belly....which is fun but weird at the same time! Most of the time...I feel like there are aliens trying to break out of my abdomen...things are just growing, moving and stretching in there so quickly! It is already getting difficult to get comfortable at night. I am a belly sleeper and that is getting hard to do (not to mention I worry about squishing them!) I am trying to sleep on my side...but that is so freaking uncomfortable! I am still having a hard time falling asleep....but once I do....I am sleeping until about 4am when I have to get up and eat something.

I am still not taking the zofran....I just couldn't handle the constipation that came with that. My RE suggested I try doxylamine (unisom,) which has definitely been helping. I take half a dosage before I go to bed and it definitely helps with the nausea and vomiting through the night and into the next day....which enables me to get some calories in which also helps keep the nausea down...so it's a win win. Unfortunately, the nausea comes back in the late afternoon and then I usually vomit a few times in the evenings. I guess this plan isn't perfect, and still needs to be ironed out.....but it's better than before!

Well, I guess that is all I have to report on for now.  I have been released from the fertility clinic (weird!) except one more blood test next week. I am supposed to keep my appointment with the perinatologist on the 16th...since this is still considered "high risk" even though we won't need to reduce. But, I am also going to start the hunt for an OB.....I was told today that I need to start seeing a regular OB within the next 2-3 weeks. Not sure why I haven't looked into this yet....denial that this is really happening? More than likely.....

Oh, I do have a few pics of the twins...which I will scan in and post soon! You can see Baby B really well, but Baby C had his/her back to us, so it's not so good! But, still fun to see them!

31 comments:

E and R said...

I am so sorry that you lost one of the babies - but glad that you don't have to make what would have been a very hard choice. Sleep is hard for me too (I'm almost 17 weeks) but we bought a special 'pregnancy pillow' last weekend and it is really helping, we found it at Mot.herh.ood and it was totally worth the money! I have been sleeping better (not great, but better) since then.
Can't wait to see the pictures!

My (In)fertile Confessions said...

I'm sorry for the loss of Baby A! But, at the same time, if you were planning on reducing, this is not a bad thing. I always try to remember that God gives us what we can handle, and for you and I, thats TWINS!!!

Those are great heart rates! And yes I do think you can start bonding with these lil babes! Once you have heartbeats, the miscarraige rate drops dramatically!

Again, sorry for your loss :-/

laurieb145 said...

Oh Krista, I am so sorry that you lost one of the babies. I can't imagine the mixed emotions that must come along with that. Its good to hear that the other 2 babies are doing so well. Glad you are getting a little relief from the sickness, hope it gets better! Take Care!

justagirl-Krista said...

I have been thinking about you and your babies. So sorry for the loss of Baby A, I am sure the news was hard to hear. I am so happy that baby B & C are going strong and you are on your way to have twins! Take Care.

Jessica Anne said...

Krista, I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby A. But, happy at the same time that you didn't have to make a hard decision to reduce.

On a side note, I don't know where exactly in the Denver area you live, but I absolutely LOVE my OB that has an office inside Littleton Hospital. I get an ultrasound every time I go in and he is super awesome and always tells me to call with ANYTHING and he will fit me in. Conceptions recommended this doctor and he actually delivered one of the IVF nurse's babies! If you want more info, please let me know =) I hope you feel better and that the vomiting stops soon!!
Hugs!

K. said...

Sorry about the loss of baby A, but celebrate B & C!! I am also a stomach sleeper, when I was perggers with my twins, I went to Target and for 9.99, you can get a body pillow - I slept with it between my legs, under my growing belly, then between my arms and it helped me 1) stay off my stomach, and 2) just be more comfortable!! Praying for B & C, and a happy healthy and uneventful rest of pregnancy!!

K. said...

Sorry about the loss of baby A, but celebrate B & C!! I am also a stomach sleeper, when I was perggers with my twins, I went to Target and for 9.99, you can get a body pillow - I slept with it between my legs, under my growing belly, then between my arms and it helped me 1) stay off my stomach, and 2) just be more comfortable!! Praying for B & C, and a happy healthy and uneventful rest of pregnancy!!

clewis said...

Scans are always so exciting and nervy. Sorry about the 3rd baby. but great on the healthy twins! I have my 12wk scan on Tuesday, am scared as last time I had a scan it was 8 weeks. Always a worry.

Mrs. Lemon said...

So happy for the twins doing well! The loss of a is tough but I am glad it helps with the decisions. I went ahead and invested in a comfort u pillow. It was expensive but the body pillow didn't cut it for this belly sleeper. I needed the full surround so I could keep flipping. I sleep really well with it. Hopefully only a few more weeks before the nausea gies away. I swear, I hit 11 weeks and just woke up feeling well all of a sudden. Hugs to you!

Jos said...

Phew, what a mixed bag of emotions to deal with. I'm happy that B and C are both doing well though.

Last night I woke up on my belly (which was not comfortable, hence why I woke up), and my first thought was SHIT I squished the baby!

Bird said...

Oh Krista! I just knew this ia how things would work out. You are such a sensitive soul. You would have carried that reduction guilt for the entire rest of your pregnancy. But you don't have to. What did I tell you? God makes absolutely no mistakes. I am so happy for your HEALTHY twins! I wish i knew what was in my own uterus, but i am still clueless.

Happy healthy pregnancy to you. To us!!

Cherbear said...

I have to admit, I am so relieved. God is carrying you in his arms. He had to make a decision for you in order to keep you and the other babies healthy. I love the way you speak about your sweet babies. Sounds like things are going the way they should. Thanks for posting Krista!

Jacksmom said...

I am so sorry about baby a but I am glad you didn't have to make the decision. Happy to hear that the twins are doing well! Feel better soon!

Unknown said...

Well, you don't have to reduce now that is good news! Also even more excellent everyone is healthy and growing!! Congrats again on the twins =) We want to see them baby pics! I also want to mention I had an embryo loss around 7 weeks and mine didn't absorb I felt a cramp then bleed strongly for a few hours then all is well. Your twins will survive the bleeding just fine if this happens. Mine did! Much love and luck your way soon to be mommy of twins!

Marissa said...

I know there are many good, logical arguements for twins being better than triplets.

And I'm sure that's cold comfort.

I'm so very sorry that you lost Baby A. *hugs*

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Tippy said...

i'm sorry about baby A... :-( big big hugs. your nurses sound so great and so glad that they eased your mind about your other two babies.... i can't imagine all that you are processing right now, but i'm glad that you can start sharing the excitement about twins and not have to be faced with a decision of reducing.... that's interesting that unisom works! great you can take something that helps the nausea and still poo :-) .... congrats on graduating to the OB and again, i'm really sorry for your loss, but happy for the great heartbeats on the twins!

LC said...

Krista - I'm so sorry you lost lil A. I'm sure God is watching over you and he knew it was best for you and the twins. But I know it must still really hurt...a loss is a loss. :(

Graduating to an OB..WOW girl you have come a long way. Congrats honey!!

Cori said...

Sorry to hear about baby A but I am so glad all is well with the twins! Congrats on 9 weeks hopefully the nausea is on it's way out soon!!!

Nikki said...

I'm sorry for you loss, but big hugs for those twinkies that are healthy and strong! I hope your nausea goes away soon!

Anonymous said...

What an appointment...so much excitement but sadness too. So much to take in that's for sure. All I can say is YOU are one BRAVE woman for handling it on your own.

I am so sorry about the loss of Baby A but so very happy that you didn't have to make any decisions...God just knew. Praying for a healthy and uneventful next 29ish weeks...twins always come at least 2 weeks early!!!

Always praying!!!

One Who Understands said...

So sorry you lost baby A. But I am so glad now you do not have to make the decision to reduce. I kept thinking about how awful that would be. Now you are pregnant with twins!!! That is so exciting and way less dangerous!

Chon said...

Krista is alive!!

Darling I am sorry about the loss of baby A but so happy to hear that B & C are still doing fabulously. I know that the decision would have been heart wrenching to make and I am glad that you no longer have to make it.

Now how can we put some meat on that tiny little body of yours??? Hmmm!!

Gurlee said...

Wow, that is a mixed bag! I am sorry about baby A but at least you aren't faced with what would most definately be a very difficult decision. None the less it is hard, (((hugs))).
I am super happy the twins are a-ok! Take good care of yourself :)
Xoxo

Kristen said...

Krista,
Wow, that's a lot to process. I'm so sorry for the loss of Baby A. And so glad you don't have to make a decision about reducing. Glad to hear Babies B and C are doing so great. So happy and excited for you!

Annie said...

That's a lot to take in, especially since your hubby couldn't be there with you! Such a mix of happy and sad news I don't know what to say. Any loss is hard, even very early and even if it is "for the best" - a comment that always bugged me but sometimes it really is.

tsauber said...

Hi,
Wow! That is such a hard thing to process, I know! I am glad you do not have to face a reduction decision now. I was really worrying for you over that one. You are so brave to manage that appt. without Matt-I wish you hadn't had to hear about that one alone. I am glad to hear you are having some relief from the nausea too. Ask your dr. about taking Benedryl during the day to help relieve the afternoon nausea. It is safe for babies and helps tremendously with nausea. Your babies will find the nutrition they need even if you haven't gained weight, but it would be nice to see you get a few pounds on your tiny self to help them along! I'm sending you a little present in the mail to help with your nausea too! ;)

Coakley's Journey said...

wow, so sorry to hear about baby A. I know no matter what its hard to loose a baby because the moment you know they are there you get attached. Welcome to the twin club though....your twins sound like they had a great report.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of Baby A. I think you are right, the decision has been taken from you, and it must feel more natural and a sense of relief I guess. Baby A-ngel will be with you and the twins, keeping a safe eye on you.

Always thinking of you xoxo

Cin said...

Krista -

I'm sorry to hear about baby A, I know it must be tough. But I'm glad baby B and C are doing well. Can't wait to see your U/S pics.

Cindi

Kelli said...

Krista,
I am so sorry to hear about baby A but so happy to hear the twins are doing great. I can't imagine how difficult a decision reduction would have been for you. Hope you continue to feel better! Sending you big, big hugs!

Jen said...

Krista, I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of Baby A. I am sending you thoughts of peace and comfort in the days ahead.

I also hope the all day sickness leaves you soon. I know every day feels like an eternity when you feel so sick but hopefully in a few days it will leave you.

Thinking of you often my friend!