Well....we are now sliding into the last little part of the first trimester....hallelujah!!!!!
We had our first appointment with the OB this week. I thought it was going to be uneventful since the first appointment was just with a NP....but it ended up being about an hour and a half long appointment. We went over all my 6 pages of medical history (which I thought was strange since I've been with Kaiser since 2004, so they already have all this info...but whatever,) then she did a full female exam which I also thought was strange since I just had one in April...but again...whatever. Then, we had an ultrasound! I wasn't mentally prepared for this....so I was really hot and sweaty and nauseous through the first part of the appointment after finding out when I got there that they were going to do an ultrasound. I know that sounds weird....I should be excited to see them....and I was, but at the same time I was so nervous to find out how they were doing. Immediately after starting the ultrasound I could see that both babies were doing really well! They had doubled in size since my last ultrasound which had only be a little over a week earlier. Amazing! They were moving around, waving their arms and legs, hearts beating away!! She took measurements and they were both measuring about 2 days ahead! Yay! I was so so so so relieved!! Here is the pic from the ultrasound:
I am very proud of these two little miracles! We are doing an "early screen" (NT scan) in about a week and a half...this is an optional screen but we decided to go ahead and do it because we found out that otherwise we wouldn't have another ultrasound until October! This first screen will check for any abnormalities in the babies (downs, trisomy 18.)
After that...we have another appointment with the OB at about 15.5 weeks in September but this won't be an ultrasound...they will just listen for fetal heart tones. Then, I'll have my "formal" scan with the perinatologist between 18-20 weeks, which will be in October! I can't imagine waiting until October to see these little beauties again! Hopefully, they will cooperate and we can find out the sexes then too! I can't wait to start planning the nursery!
On other news....the nausea and vomiting are still there but I think getting better. I am still very nauseous in the mornings and evenings, during that time I am doing everything I can not to vomit. I haven't vomited in a few days now which makes me very happy. Last Thursday and Friday I actually had some reprieve from the nausea and I thought this meant that I was on the other side, so I didn't take my unisom on Friday night...well, bad idea...I paid for it all day on Saturday with lots of nausea and vomiting. So, I started up my one unisom again and it is still helping...I am mostly nauseous for a few hours in the morning and then in the evening and like I said...I haven't vomited since Monday night. I am still not able to eat "real" meals.....I am still constantly hungry but "real" food upsets my stomach, so I still have to eat bland food and only a few bites at a time. I am frustrated with that because I SO miss real food and I'm sick of bread, pretzels, crackers, oatmeal, bland soup and cereal. I've been craving pizza and fat deli sandwiches!
Sleep still continues to be difficult. I'm still having a hard time falling asleep on my side...and unfortunately, when I do fall asleep I am waking up mostly on my stomach. I guess old habits are really really hard to break! I am waking up a lot to use the bathroom, because I'm hungry, because I am hot or cold, because I'm on my stomach, etc. I feel like I am only sleeping about an hour at a time so I know I am not getting a lot of "good" sleep. I am trying to nap during the day, but that doesn't always work out. I am really ready for fall when the weather is cooler....much better sleeping weather!
I am completely off of the estrogen patch now and am down to one endometrin suppository. I am also weaning off of the prednisone and will be off of it completely on Monday. So, basically I am down to one endometrin and the one estrogen tablet. Which makes me happy! By this time next week I should be off of everything! Going off of the progesterone support completely does make me a bit nervous, but I guess I just need to have faith that everything is happening correctly in my uterus and that those placentas have taken over nicely!
On unrelated news....our 3 year old mastiff started limping on his hind leg on Sunday night...it didn't get better so I had to take him into the vet yesterday. Well, we found out that he needs to have a $4000 knee surgery! He busted his meniscus somehow...grrrrrrr! So, he is scheduled for surgery next week. He'll have to stay completely off of his leg for 6 weeks, then limited movement for another 6 weeks!! Mind you...this is a very active young mastiff...this is going to be horrible! On top of that....they had to put him under anesthesia yesterday to take the x-ray and the last time he went under....he acted very strange afterword...wouldn't eat, wouldn't go to the bathroom outside, just sat and whined, then peed on the floor in the middle of the night. So, yesterday when we picked him up we asked the vet if this was going to be the case again and she said "oh, I've never heard of that before, he'll be perfectly fine!" Well, she was wrong....last night he wouldn't eat anything (not even so that we could give him pain pills,) and we made him go outside twice and he wouldn't pee...he would just walk out and then lay down on the ground. So, what'ya know....the next thing I knew he had peed on his bed!! Matt and I were beside ourselves! So, we ended up having to kennel him over night because we were worried about him going potty on the floor. He seems to be doing better today, but we aren't supposed to let him use the stairs (we have a 2 story house and he sleeps upstairs, so this is a pain) or let him outside by himself...just on a leash to go potty. What a pain in the ass!!! Matt is trying to be calm, cool and collected about this whole thing because he knows the last thing I need is stress over this dog...but we are both frustrated....this is very bad timing!
Well, thanks if you made it to the end of my post! I guess I had a lot to say today!!


14 comments:
So glad to hear everything is going well! I would be going for the optional screening, too, just to get another peek at those precious babes! I hope your nausea/vomiting subside completely very soon...that sounds horrible! I'm sorry to hear about your dog...that really stinks...I know it's not good timing but it is better now than AFTER the babies come! :)
Beautiful pictures! Glad you are doing well. So sorry about your dog - one of mine had a dislocated hip a few years ago that required major surgery - it was a huge pain! Hopefully he comes through everything OK!
So great to hear that all is going well!
I wouldn't worry about waking up on your stomach. It's not hurting anything, and eventually it will just be too uncomfortable and that in itself will stop you from doing it in your sleep. :)
I have never seen a scan with 2 in there! Thanks for the experience and great to hear all is well with you and the bubs!
Oh Krista..your babies are beautiful!! So exciting! =0) I am so sorry about your pup...yikes!! Definitely some bad timing but hopefully it all works out for him. Hugs!!
Krista - It's so crazy to think you are already at 11 weeks!!! Hooray for seeing two healthy babies in there again! Sorry to hear about your pup. So sad when they are not well. Good luck with the surgery next week.
What a nice relief that the ultrasound went well, the babies look great! I hope you are on the upswing with the puking, no fun at all. Very happy for you!
Wow, such great news!!!!
I hope you are feeling better, it is so awful to feel sick all the time! I can't imagine what it feels like with twins, I thought mine was bad.
I hope your dog is feeling better, it is so stressful to have a sick pet!!!!
So glad to hear everything looked great at your US! It's great to catch up on what's going on with you, I love reading your updates! I hope sleep finds you soon and that your pup is healed up and back to himself asap!
I can't believe that it's been 11 weeks! Time flies...
What a beautiful scan. Congrats - congrats - congrats! So exciting and I'm so glad that you get to experience it. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers constantly. So glad you're feeling a titch better.
Sorry to hear about the dog. These dogs mean the world to us so this is a hard one....good luck!
oxox.
If you guys are that devoted to a dog then there's no doubt you're going to be great parents to your twins. Glad they're both looking great!
WOW! Way to go mama - 11 weeks already! Still just so happy for you... glad the ultrasound looked well, but so sorry about your puppy. Poor baby.
OO! Look at the babies!!!
sorry about the dog and the continuing nausea but you are very close to home free!!!
Wow your scan pics are amazing!
It took me a while to get used to sleeping on my side too and I kept waking on my tummy, but eventually it got uncomfortable anyway so it was a natural progression to side sleeping! And your poor dog, hope the surgery goes well and he's back to his old self in no time... :) xxx
Post a Comment